It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Mental confusion with cervical problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Mental confusion with cervical problems

I am curious to see if anyone else has experianced any issues with confusion of the how they are feeling with existing cervical problems.
    Marywoo, if you see this & I hope you do perhaps you can explain abit more about what you mentioned in the other post when you brought up confusion. I am just struggling lately with some things. Not feeling right at times & tryng to figure out what it might be.
    I have suffered some issues with being able to think clearly at times, dizziness & as feeling drained all of a sudden, almost like I am in a fog. I cant seem to figure out why & it can be scary & frustrating. Anyone else get like this? Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User
    Re: Mental confusion with cervical problems

sammy,i have been very mentally confused since all this pain for example cant remember what day it is,sometimes forget if i took my meds.let the dog out and forget,honestly we have 5 dogs i have to count them to feel safe that i didnt forget one outside,i have not been able to cook toast without burning it because i get distracted and before you it ive burned it.but my dr said when you have nerve damage this is not unusal.there are days when i cant remember if ive eaten,i hope this helps sammy,just know that your not alone,and someone here will always try to help,it has been a life savor for me . marywoo

Old 06-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Mary wow. I can identify with abit of it. The dog for example.
    I find that I am using more & more notes as reminders. At times I just feel like my mind if muddled, hard to describe. I do know I dont trust myself at times. You know when I have to much to do or in a hurry. Since I have ADHD to boot it makes it abit tougher. I have two dry erase boards on my fridge & sticky notes all over the place. I know the meds can do that but I honestly dont think its all from the meds. What other symptoms do you have? I am having more & more issues with my hands. This all can confuse the heck out of me. The symptoms can be so sparatic that I am always questioning myself. Sammy

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Sammy wow,we do have alot in common,my son was diagnosed with ADHD,when he was 7 and honestly at the time i thought the teachers were crazy,but over the years not only do i beleave it it but i think it runs in my and my husbands family,i had it with hyperactivity and my husband without the hyperactivity.i think that has something to do with my condition now,i feel like i burnt myself out my daughter was not diagnosed but now that i have all this time i think she has certain symtoms,that went unnoticed,of course i feel guilty for that.sorry to get off subject anyway years ago i had numbness down my left arm and my fingers would start to seperate,running them under hot water seemed to do the trick,now i realize that was probably this disc thats pressing against my spinal cord,i never would have suspected my neck not in a million years,so i cant blame my dr for not checking my neck i never complained about neck pain,but i think this might be part of my mental confusion,although i was never the sharpest tool in the shed LOL.sammy try to remember when you were younger and put the puzzle pieces together,now i recall every trauma to my body going way back,and some people say you dont need to know but i did,i also have to write lists and then i forget to bring them.i have not been out of my house except for drs appt.and have not always kept them,if its raining i just cant stand the pain.i feel like i can get better but have to be careful and you too please be careful with yourself alot of this stuff i broght on myself by being a ninny.my last episode was brought on by an epilitical machine,i never want to see one of those again,ha ha ha.but i will start walking again but i will take my time and not let others push me.tell me more about yourself sammy if you dont mind,iam fascinated by ADHA you are one of the few people who have the honesty to say it like it is and i admire that.theres nothing wrong with people with ADHD they just have way more energy than most.Did you have mri of your neck ?sorry to ramble sammy its just nice to find someone who truly understands.you can ask me any thing i will tell you the truth i feel like my flaws are what makes me unique and my husband says there cute,i hope he still feels this way in a few years because i can see where this would get old.have a great day sammy and dont worry about making lists,you are not alone. marywoo

Old 06-30-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mary, I have had so many diagnoses with my problems. ironically enough the first diagnosis was the neck, & that was over 3yrs ago. Because the MRI did not show enough to warrent all the problems I am having, they continued to look at other areas.
    I have learned that doctors put to much faith in all those tests. I did end up having probems with my left shoulder & ended up with shoulder decompression & a bursectomy.
    One darn painful surgery. Everyone was hoping all the problems were linked to that shoulder but of course through the recovery & pt discovered that was not the case. My left rib cage is hypermobile so there is thought to be myfascial damage in that area.

Started with a pain management doctors in June & sure enough he is looking back into the neck. Which I have to say I am having more & more that is symptamatic of the neck along with the myofacsial damage. Strange both shoulders & hands are really acting up, in the morning I have certain fingers that will hurt so bad. If its really bad I just feel like I cant use my arms or hands. Never had issues with the right one till recently. I hope it is in the neck. I know if any pt messes with that area I will the worst headaches & my neck can bother me. But like you never really had issues with it in the beginning. It was other areas that bothered me, mostly the upper shoulder & chest area, moving into the ribs, then little by little started having more pain & loosing movement in my left arm, till last april/may the pain came on a daily basis & just became worse over time. Was in the doctors office at least once a week. So I have been told because of misdiagnosis & it being let go it is chronic with permanent damage. Hard to swallow. Because the doctors could not piece it together they went as far as trying to say it was all in my head or stress. I cant think about all the stuff they put me through it just gets me so angry. I know I injured myself moving into my new home & I have lifted as part of my job for of gosh well over 12-13 yrs or more.
    ADHD runs in my family, heavily. I learned I had it when my daughter was diagnosed. Much like your son she drove the teacher alittle insane. I fought for over a year to get her help in school. Had to become an expert on it so to speak. I actually had counslers tell me I knew more then the teachers by far, heck they would ask me questions. I had to threaten to bring in legal help so they woudl accomadate her. She was actually full of talent, just learned some subjects at her own pace. If you really look into it you find some very smart & talented people have had ADHD. Alot of kids have hidden talents with it. Just really effect how you learn & live. I tried hard to point out the good things about it to her. She is 22 & still struggles, has -0 patience. It is a very complex disorder & thank god her docter who had treated her since she was a infant was some what of an expert in it. Even though he knew she had it he took his time in diaganosing her. Some funny stories. If ever you really are interested we will go on the ADD board.
    For me well I am older & does not show as much, of course I have alot of restlessness & not a whole lot of patience. I have had to teach myself alot of things. Like relearning & training myself. My attention span I really have to force. I am an airhead & forgetful. But hey when I was phsyically able I could do more the two people combined. I love to just keep going, which can't do now. I do have abit of control issues. For example like certain things in my house to be a certain way. My kids & friends say I am abit obbsesive about certain things, I will never change in that department. Dont like to see certain things out of place. I honestly think its a control thing. Like if I let to much get out of control I feel like it would take me forever to get control back, strange & hard to explain. I have retrained myself along with learning how to parent my daughter when she was growing up. Hard to bring up a child with it, thank god my other daughter does not have it, she slow as a turtle. My older one channled her energy into sports & has trohpys everywhere. That saved her self esteem I believe. Thank god.
    Now if I can just find something to do with myself, lol. I am looking forward to seeing how this procedure goes for you. Let me know how your doing. Sammy

Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy, Just a note to say hello, to you and Marywoo, also. I see your still having problems with your hands, and I am also still having the numbness and tingling, etc., with mine. I can't even hold a book to read, or the phone, without my hands getting all numb and achy. I do have an appointment with a rheumotoligist on Wednesday, so I will let you kow what he has to say about my problem. I have had a few people tell me that the hand thing is probably coming from my neck problems, as yours may be as well...but, I hope the doctor can determine the problem and come up with a solution. I will share his opinion with you, and we can compare notes!

As to you going through the confusion thing, I can't help but think, no wonder, with everything you have been through, plus the meds your on, it's no wonder a person gets confused and forgetful. Even without having ADHD, having pain every day, and dealing with such stress can surely make a person a bit out of whack!! I know when I am trying to walk or do things, and the pain sets in, it does make me dizzy and I have to take a few deep breaths to clear my head. Sometimes I even think I might be having some small panic attacks. I used to have major ones years ago!

Just adding my thoughts, and sending my best to you and Marywoo, as well. You gals hang in there, and know that your both coping with a heck of a lot.....so, I'd say you both deserve a big pat on the back...and lots of huggs!!!!

Take care!
    Judy

Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
    sunshine1973
    (female)

sunshine1973 HB User

Yep, since I had my auto accident I forget everything....I am always chasing choices I have made.....like did I write the check correctly, did I sign it, did I mail it.....how come I am so exhausted from any mental activity? I do all the decision making in my marriage and I cannot tell you how exhausting it is? I am the one...for all the decision making and everyone thinks, it all me? All the kids are out of the house and it's just me and my husband.... He says I have a problem because I had an auto accident and hit my head on the steering wheel....and than there are the side affects from the meds....so, I cannot win for losing in this situation..I take alot of notes and than yep! I loose them too! I am always trying to start a new system...and I cannot get the paper work I ususally have in piles on the floor, filed and off the ground..do not ask me about my wardrobe...I do not have one.....Everything is just so hard to get started and to keep anything in order doesn't last long! forget it! I have to start everything all over again....never ending and always chasing choices! stuck in a never ending rut!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    what is wrong with Mondays anyways?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well at least I am not alone. I have to tell you I personally think its the stress to. you know of not feeling that great with all the pain & other things that go along with it all. I know by the end of each day I am so exhausted both mentally & physically. I have days I just dont feel I am thinking clealy & hate to make any descions on those days. I definantly know everything feels off. Strange. Like I am my thinking is muddled or fuzzy.

Chab, I sat on the edge of my bed this morning with my arms & hands along with a couple fingers hurting so dang bad I just broke down. I felt defeated. I know this weather, hot & humid & calling for rain just compounds everything. I have to get in the habit of taking my meds before I get up & I have never been good at that. I know how you feel, it can be tough when your hands just ache, lately I am dropping things. I just hope I can avoid dropping them on my feet (ha) dont need anymore pain. Funny how everything esculated so quickly. Been trying a new topical spray my neighbor brought from the chiros she works at its called cyroderm, it does soothe. Nothing gets rid of the pain but I'll take what I can get for now.
    Tell me do you get alot of pain in your hands? Boy can they hurt. I hope your appointment goes well, you have been through alot my friend. Sammy

Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Thanks Sammy..I wrote that spray down and I will look for it in the drug store. Yes, my hands hurt every day, but most often at night when I am trying to sleep..for some strange reason. I did go see the rheumotologist, and he said he doesn't think the hand pain is coming from my neck issues. Tells me it sounds more like carpal tunnel, so now I am going this Friday for some kind of test on the hands....EMG...or something like that. Just had x-rays on my knees to also address the knee pain I have been having. Then I will go back to the rheumotoligist to discuss all the results of these tests.

Sammy, I don't blame you for breaking down now and then and having a cry...it certainly is hard keeping a smile on your face all the time with all the pain and stress you have been through. You go ahead girl, and cry now and then.....doesn't take away the pain, but just might get some of the frustration out. I am beginning to feel like just one big ball of pain between the neck, the back, now the hands, and the knees! I would have expected pain when I had that heart attack....but no, had no pain, thank goodness....it is all these other stupid things that are driving me nuts!!

Hope you have been feeling better since the shots, and my very best wishes and thoughts to you.

Judy

Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chab the spray I got is from a chiros office.
    Went for the ESIs & have abit of relief, not enough to skip the meds but I have some hope. I have been on such a rollercoster with work, pain & family. I just pray alot.
    I find this the hardest thing to think I am a cper, chronic pain suffer, everytime I think I come to terms with it I realize I have not yet reached that point.
    I am sorry you are suffering, I went for the EMG, some say its painful but for me it was not bad, I am curious to see how you do & what shows on it. I hope you can get some relief with your appointment with the Rhuem.
    We have been dragging butt for awhile here. You would think we would have had some better pain control by now. I tried to remember when we all met, it has been awhile. Yet here we still are. Either we are a mess or have really bad doctors,lol.
    All & all you survived a heart attack & your daughter is well & that is what matters most. I also try oils for pain at times & get some relief, peppermint & wintergreen, they can be really soothing at times. Please let me know how it goes & as always I will keep you in my prayers. Take care, Sammy

Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
    TracyAlexa
    (female)

TracyAlexa HB User

Interesting because this is also happening to me. Since it isn't a physical pain, I didn't put it in my other post but I used to remember EVERYTHING. Now, its hard to remember something minor. Good example, I came to this site and was stuggling to remember which forum I posted to. I kept thinking, I know it starts with an S. It's such a weak feeling. I really hate it.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think I will ask my PM when I go in for my follow up. I get that kind of dizzy feeling or not being able to think clear. I noticed at times if I turn my head quickly or a certain way it can occur also. Can effect your balance at times & that I do not like. As far as notes, I have so many sticky notes around its unreal. I would feel better at least knowing if indeed cervical problems can cause all of this. Thanks so much, Sammy

Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I've read that chronic pain can cause memory problems.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
    Linda07
    (female)

Linda07 HB User

Glad to see others are suffering the memory loss!! I have the same problems even yelled at the kids because I couldnt find something and I was the one that moved it.The kids joke me all the time.I also keep a little mead notebook and keep all my appointmens and things I need to remember in it.I have wondered if it was the pain meds but I have been on them for years and I didnt have this problem befor surgery.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, just wanted to let you know after having the EMG test last week, the doctor did confirm it is, indeed, carpal tunnel in both of my hands. So, at least I now know the pain, numbness, etc. is not stemming from my discs in my neck....which is a good thing, because I was very nervous it might all be from the neck. The bad thing is the only thing you can do for carpal tunnel is have an operation, which I probably will do in the near future, before it gets worse. The doctor that did the test said "don't wait too long." Now I have to go back to the rheumotoligist and talk to him about the results, and about the results of my knee x-rays. Then, I will figure out what to do!!

Glad to hear the ESI's have helped you somewhat. And yes, it has been awhile since we met, and you would think that by now me and you, as well as so many on this board, would have less pain by now...but, it just seems to go on and on. I haven't had any surgery yet, and am trying to avoid that if I can, but with all the shots, pills, doctors, etc., yes, you would think we'd all be feeling somewhat better by now!!! I am beginning to believe it is going to be an ongoing thing, and I just do my best to ignore it all.....but, as you kow, it sure is hard to ignore at times!!

So, like you, I pray a lot also, and grit my teeth...and pop those pills whenever I need to!

Hang in there! Thinking of you.

Judy

Closed Thread