It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post op cervical posterior foraminotomy pain issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
    allicat2000
    (female)

allicat2000 HB User
    Post op cervical posterior foraminotomy pain issues

I had post cervical foraminotomy C5-6 on Monday the 16th. Recovery room was awful. I am previous ACDF C5-6 6-7 Feb 2006 and that was a breeze compared to this. I have the most awful arm pain, worse than it ever was pre op. I am sleeping most of the night now but am wondering when and if the arm pain will go away. It radiates to my thumb. The mornings are really really bad as far as pain goes. Anyone else that can share their story?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: Post op cervical posterior foraminotomy pain issues

Hi Alli,

I had the Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy for C 3-4 C 4-5 this past January.
    My surgeon said from the begining that I may need to be fused. I am actually going to see him today and I hope to get a date for a 2 level ACDF C 4-5 and C 5-6.

Anyway, I had a lot of post op pain. I think it was on the second day that I started to decrease off the pump in the hospital.

Right after coming out of the anesthesia, I had terrible arm weaknessand could not lift my left arm and could not hold a styrofoam(sp) cup of ice chips with either my left or right had. This neurological issues went away after about 12 hours post op.

When I cam home my Mom had come up from her home (she is 2 1/2 hours from my house) to stay and help. I was really out of it and slept soo much for the first 3 days out of the hospital. I did not have one asfter this surgery but would suggest getting a wedge pillow to sleep with because when I would sleep with the soft collar on post op I would move around at night to much trying to get comfy and ultimately ended up propping the pillows and laying in a reclined position.

Tis surgery for me was very very painful. I had to have a lot of help after ward. I am a single woman at 38 yearsold and I had to have someone there to help do everything. In fact my friend who I am in college with is a CNA and she came to help a lot when my Mom had to go home. We are both trying to become nurses and she was not working so did soooooo much for me and I ended up paying her. Her family made meals for me to take from the freezwer and pop in the microwave. I did not ask them to it was a total random act of kindness.

Anyway. Your not that far out post op so I would say that if you have anything unusual happening to call your surgeon. Or if you feel you do not have enough pain releif.
    I took it very easy. I walked as requested but only in very small incriments. This surgery really zapped my energy levels. Please be careful.

I usually am posting in the Pain Management section. I only check here a few times a week sometmes less. SO please come over to the PM area for added support if you need it.

I just wanted to say your not alone with this surgery. I am not sure but I think I made lots of posts obout this surgery so if there is a way to search the archives for this topic give it a try. Like I said I had a tough time.

Please call on me anytime you need for support ok?

Hang in there.
    Chrissy

The Following User Says Thank You to skych For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (08-18-2012)
    Closed Thread