It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical surgery & yawning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
    kathy155
    (female)

kathy155 HB User
    cervical surgery & yawning

IN March I had surgery of the cervical, 3 thru 6. The surgeon went through the front of my neck. I am now having difficulty swallowing and can feel something close to the incision area. I have even gotten medications caught in this area. The second problem is that I am yawning constantly now and cannot finish the yawn, very uncomfortable. Has anyone had this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
    cat_100
    (female)

cat_100 HB User
    Re: cervical surgery & yawning

I had both of these problems after cervical surgery. The swallowing thing eventually went away completely. But even now about 10 years later, I still occasionally have that feeling where my yawn gets "caught". I massage around the incision area for half a minute or so until the crampy feeling goes away. At this point it doesn't happen often enough anymore to be bothersome.

Hope this helps,

Cat

Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
    steph2fly
    (female)

steph2fly HB User

Hey Kathy,

I have had the same problem every once in a while, but I just thought it was because of the neck brace I am in as it does put quite a bit of pressure on the chin and back of the head if I have to really open my mouth wide or have a big yawn coming on; but maybe its not??

What has your doctor said?

Steph

Old 06-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User

This might be totally irrelevant, but just wanted to let you know that I get that non-finished yawn feeling from an irritated esophagus... not exactly acid reflux, but connected. If I swallow pills and don't eat with them, or if I don't really wash them down, or even if they just get "stuck" for a while, it happens as well. I just thought I'd mention it in case it was because after neck surgery, the swallowing becomes restricted and more difficult, then if the pills or food are irritating the top of the esophagus, it could be causing this. Maybe being sure to wash the food and pills down properly will help some.
    Sorry if this sounds silly, but it's what causes it for me, so thought I'd offer the idea up, at least.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
    kathy155
    (female)

kathy155 HB User

Thanks for the replies. Spoke with my doctor and he said he has never heard of anyone having trouble yawning after cervical surgery. My swallowing has gotten better, but not gone, so I'll just wait a few months. Hopefully not 10 years like CAT100. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
    trackerv123
    (female)

trackerv123 HB User

Hi,
    I've had three neck surg and they went through the front everytime...now I have asthma really bad and I have trouble swallowing and my PT does deep massage on the scare to break up the scare tissue that is forming...you can do it yourself, just massage over the incision and do it for about 10 minutes....I have trouble swallowing and it's getting better but I constantly feel like I'm choking because of lack of blood and oxygen flow to the area....try the massage and see if that gives you relief and also massage you joints by your ear for the yawning...good luck

Closed Thread