It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spine disc extrusion, need help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User
    Spine disc extrusion, need help!

I am 57 years old. I felt serious pain from my right hip running into right leg about one and half month ago. My right calf also feel pain and part of right toes feel numbness. I did MRI , the impression:

There is a large,( 1.7cmx1.7cmx1.1) , superiorly directed, disc extrusion at the L5-S1 level other less severe degenerative changes are present as discussed above.

I have used some pain and anti-inflammation medicines and injection to treat for one month , my symptoms already calmed down about 60% but the rest 40% is stably no longer change . I can’t sit too long and right leg can’t walk too long. My doctor is a pain management doctor to treat sports related problem, Her point is that the disc extrusion compresses my sciatica nerve and leg nerve. She think it can’t be healed without surgery and suggested me to see a Orthopedics or Neurological to prepare surgery. I asked her if I can try stretching exercises or physical therapy, she said these treatments will not help because the extrusion is too big to be pulled in and maybe stretching exercises may make worse if the extrusion is broken.

I would like to know if there is a deadline that I have to make decision to take surgery or not.I saw some material said it is six months. I will try any other methods before the “deadline”. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 09-07-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Spine disc extrusion, need help!

The sooner you do the surgery the better off you will be and the more likley you will be to have a good outcome and recovery. What you have now is a disc that is impinging the nerve - if this goes on for too long nerve damage can be more permanent (the symtpoms you have may then not be able to be sufficiently alleviated).

I waited a bit too long with my neck surgery and I have some permanent nerve damage (causes numbness in two fingers). Had I had the surgery sooner I would have had a better chance of the nerve fully "recovering".

Please see an Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon as soon as possible to go over your options.

Also, you may find additional information on the Back Pain board. For some reason this board tends to concentrate more on Cervical spine issues.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 06-28-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

Yes, I am going to see Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon and Surgery Netrological
    as soon as I can. will see what they say.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
    The sooner you do the surgery the better off you will be and the more likley you will be to have a good outcome and recovery. What you have now is a disc that is impinging the nerve - if this goes on for too long nerve damage can be more permanent (the symtpoms you have may then not be able to be sufficiently alleviated).

I waited a bit too long with my neck surgery and I have some permanent nerve damage (causes numbness in two fingers). Had I had the surgery sooner I would have had a better chance of the nerve fully "recovering".
    Thank you for your advice. I saw a Surgery Netrological, he suggested me surgery but also let me to try other method for two months. My painful symptoms already came down about %60, but the rest 40% in my leg no longer come down but keep some level (milder or middle pain on leg and part of toes feel numb) , I am very concern about what you said ď permanent damageĒ but I would like to know if there are some symptoms can remind me that I canít wait and have to do surgery asap ? Would you please tell me something more about your experience about you neck surgery and how long did you wait before surgery?

I posted my message in ď Back problemĒ but havenít got reply yet.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or pain that never decreases would seem to lead to possible permanent damage. Anything that is constant and always bothers you. But if some symtpoms are getting better then you certainly can wait a bit to see how much relief you get.

For example, for my neck, I had numbness in two fingers that did not go away with medications, therapay or anything. By the time I finally had surgery and gave the nerves time to heal (nerves take very long to heal) the full feeling in one finger never returned. Part of my problem was the first doctor I went to (my general doctor) didn't act fast enough when I told him that the numbness would not go away. By the time I got to my new general doctor and told him he sent me immediately to my Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and he said I needed to have a fusion very soon.

In my back I had occasional shooting pains down my leg and into my lower leg. But sometimes the pain would get better - it was not constant (all the time). The Neurological Surgeon and Orthopedic Spine Surgeon I saw at the time told me my problem would not get better without surgery. But since the pain and numbness was not constant I was able to put off the surgery for 8 months. I was in college at the time so I wanted to have the surgery in the Summer.

I've seen both Neurological Surgeons and Orthopedic Spine Surgeons. So far I've had the best luck with OSS.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

SpineAZ,

Thank you for letting me know your experience. It will help me to make decision. I already saw one Orthopedic Surgeon and one Sugery Neurological last week. They all suggested me to take Surgery but still let me try to other way. I asked them when I have to make decision ?They said as long as I donít feel weakness and numbness of my body is not progressive, I still can wait. But they donít suggest me wait too long. Now I only concern about how big the risk of surgery is?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

All surgeries have risk. I chose surgery becasue I was not going to live in pain any more, as I've done for my neck, knees, and back I knew that the only way forward, in hopes of feeling better, was surgery.

If the surgeons are saying "don't wait" then you should strongly consider their suggestion. Especially if more than one doctor has said you need surgery. They certanly can't force you but they can't reverse damage that may occur if you wait too long.

If you have weakness and numbness that is not going away,then permanent damage to the nerves can happen. It's not just whether it is progressing, but how much it impacts you now.

Karin

Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
    efang
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

efang HB User

I don't have weakness but really have numbness in part of my right leg., I wil try physical therapy maybe for one month and then concern surgery.

Closed Thread