It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New to this board - Bone Spur

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
    thj2u
    (female)

thj2u HB User
    New to this board - Bone Spur

I am excited to have found this site. I am hoping someone out there can help me.

I was in a car accident 13 years ago. I had whiplash (I was the driver and was hit on my door), but I didn't think too much of it. The car was totalled and I just went home afterwards. I did do some physical therapy at the time but quit soon after starting. I have spent the last 13 years in and out of physical therapy, chiropractic, massage therapy. I have had trigger point injections as well. Most of the time my problem seem to be from my upper right shoulder blade area. It always felt like a knot in there. I even went in to a spine institute and they had suggested an epidural shot - but I was freaked out about it so I opted out. I just dealt with the pain. Most days it was mild, some days it was bad enough for pain medication.

This past February things took a drastic turn for the worse. My neck started hurting really bad. I went in to my GP and asked for an MRI. Basically the results came back with an osteophyte on the C3-C4 level. I scheduled an appointment with a new neurosurgeon (one I had been recommended to see) but had to wait 2 more months to get in. I just tried my best not to do anything during the day - not an easy task with 6 kids! I also took Lortab when the pain was really bad.

I finally saw the NS the first part of May. He recommended that I try the epidural injection. He really thought the bone spur was small and insignificant. He wanted to see if I had the injection - would that spot on my neck feel better.. then we would know that my pain was being caused by the bone spur. True to luck - I got really sick, delaying the injection for a month. Finally had the shot at the end of May. It took about a week - but it did kick in.. only to have it last 1 1/2 weeks. I am scheduled to see the NS again this week.

I am really sick of this. The pain is so bad all the time. I have read others on this list - My problems seem so insignificant. I just want my life back. I am tired of hurting all the time. I can't take medication during the day because I am a mother who needs to be there for her children, and only narcotics seem to help lower the level of pain.

Any suggestions? Should I talk the surgeon into taking out the bone spur? Any thoughts to what kind of surgery this would entail? Any help would be greatly appriecated.

thj2u

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User
    Re: New to this board - Bone Spur

Hi and welcome to the boards they really can be a lifesaver.Iam not a dr. but i cant stress enough to stay away from chiro with a neck condition,they can be very useful for some problems but with your delicate condition they can make matters much worse.iam so sorry you are dealing with this with children i dont know how you are managing,iam so thankful i had my children when i was young,because i know i couldnt do it now.I see where you said you had one esi shot and did get relief,i was told to try 3 before shooting them down,i have had alot of trouble with the shots but i have also had some relief,ive been advised to try everything before surgery,remember this is just an opinion but iam scared to death of that.if you had surgery would you have help with your children?because you will dfinately need help.some people are very independent and can manage on their own but with 6 kids you will need help.there are a lot of people on these boards that can give you more information,i just wanted to tell you that iam sorry for your pain and there is always some one on these boards with more knowledge.hang in there you will get more responses from people who know more than me.thinking and praying for the best. marywoo

Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

thj2u:

I totally understand where you are coming from and hoepfully this story will help in your approach to meeing with your NS. After having surgery 2 years ago my symptoms reappeared and I had additional xrays, MRI and ct myelogram done. My surgeon said that I had some "mild" foraminal narrowing and a small osteophyte (bone spur). After I did the shots and they didn't provide much, if any, relief he agreed to do a C5-C6 and C6-C7 posterior cervical foraminotomy (done 5/20/08). Right after the surgery the doctor came out and talked to my husband - he said "I can understand why your wife was in so much pain. What we saw on the tests to me mild foraminal narrowing was actually severe and that bone spur we thought to be small was also very large."

So, sometimes the tests aren't showing everything. While you don't want to tell the doctor he or she is wrong it may pay to say "it appears we've tried to attach this problem with ESI, over the counter meds, and prescription meds and it's not helping. I know that sometimes the test results may not show the whole picture so what are our options."

While I am not back to 100% the surgery I had 5/20 alleviated at least 50% of the problems I was having. And at 6 weeks post-op it's too soon to say what my total recovery will be.

Also, you may want to consult an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. That's who has done both my neck surgeries and that is all that his practice does.

Karin

Last edited by SpineAZ; 06-29-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
    thj2u
    (female)

thj2u HB User

Thank you so much for your reponses.
    Marywoo - it is nice to see someone who cares.
    Nancy - Thanks for your encouragement. My husband and I are very likely to push for surgery. Obviously something that might look small and insignificant on the MRI - is causing lots of pain. I will use your approach to discuss it with him. What did your recovery entail? I have 6 kids ranging from 1 to 13. Before having the surgery I would want to know what to expect so I can get the right help I need. I have a very supportive husband and his work would allow him time to be with me. We would even use vacation time if needed.
    Thanks so much in advance for all your help.
    Teresa

Old 06-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Teresa:

Depending on what your MRI shows and your symtpoms are there are two likely courses of surgery
    (1) Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
    (2) Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy

Both require about 6 weeks to be full functional. Lifting weights will be restricted. With the ACDF frequently there is a neck brace that inhibits your neck motion.

And everyone differs in symptoms.

Once you find out what your doctor suggests return here and you may be able to find histories of posts with people and their various suggestions. Or post with any new questions you may have.

Karin

Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
    thj2u
    (female)

thj2u HB User

Karin,
    Thanks I will do that... sorry for calling you Nancy.. brain freeze!
    Here's to Wednesday!
    Teresa

Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
    thj2u
    (female)

thj2u HB User

My apt on wednesday went great. I didn't need to talk him into anything. he knew we would be heading into surgery. Today they called to tell me that ACDF has been scheduled for Thursday July 31. Seems like an eternity away. I have read lots of posts on preparing and feel that I can get ready and will be more prepared because of this site.

Teresa

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Let me know if you have any questions along the way! Best of luck to you.

Karin

Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User

Hi, so glad to have read your post. I have just been diagnosed with an "arthritic bone growth" in my C2 C3 facet joint. I assume this is a type of bone spur. The NS said it was bone rubbing on bone, so causing heaps of pain. I have been almost bedridden for 3 months from this thing, because the only pain relief I can get, is to keep my head resting back with the weight off my neck. I have just had a facet block done 2 days ago, which the NS wanted to try before anything else. So far, it's made no difference, but we'll see.
    Just amazed that I could have so much pain from one "moderatedly sized" piece of bony growth. Mine was triggered by injury from a fall, though I've had a few minor whiplash type injuries over the years, so this may have been the final straw that set the pain cycle in motion.
    I'd be really interested in following up on what is happening with you, and can really sympathise with your situation re having kids and family. Mine are grown now, but I had lumbar surgery when I had 4 kids at home, so can really relate to trying to cope with pain and surgery and family.
    My NS said that he will try the facet block injections a few times to see if they work before doing surgery. Some people seem to get relief from them, and others don't. I'm so impatient, I've already decided it won't work, but it's only 2 days so far. I was hoping I'd have noticed a difference already.
    Hope you manage to find solutions and relief as soon as possible. Kind regards from Lily

Closed Thread