It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Whiplash and chronic neck pain.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Whiplash and chronic neck pain.

Hello, I'm new here and would really like your honest opinion.
    I"ve been in a car accident 3 years ago and had a serious (I would think) whiplash. I will describe how it happened. I was sitting in the back seat of the car the driver backed the car into the house. I felt all my neck muscles strained around my neck. This day seroiusly changed my life for the worst.
    2 weeks later, I started to have neck pain, I was told it's muscles pain, went to the chiropractor who made things worst.
    Had an x-ray that showed up ok,
    2 years after the accident was not able to sleep at all cause of sever neck pain. I would like to describe the pain, maybe someone heard about it. I have pain coming up from the bottom of my ear to the bottom of the neck. it is so sever like somebody is straining me 24/7, it never goes away. When I put my neck on the pillow I feel it so strained so that's why I cannot sleep at all.
    This is other than the "normal neck pain" I'm experiencing 24/7.
    I also have something weird that I don't know what it is. I have like a pressure on the upper neck where the pain starts it also press and press and press 24/7 and never goes away. WHat is that that press all the time? anybody knows?
    So as I said, I was strating to take sleeping pills but it wears off. It only let me sleep now for 2 hours a night.
    Is there anything I should do about the neck or there is really nothing?
    Needless to say that I'm really miserable from this neck pain of 24/7
    Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nochange; 06-29-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Whiplash and chronic neck pain.

It does sound like you could have some cervical spine issues - but the only way to find out is to see your doctor. Hopefully they'd then do some x-rays and ct scan or MRI. Whiplash very commonly causes ligament, tendon and muscle damage. At the same time, if there is enough force, you could end up with disc herniation or bulge.

I have chronic neck problems and sleeping is one of my biggest issues. I can never get comfortable and don't wake up comfortable. I think I've bought every type of cervical pillow ever made :-)

Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Spineaz, They've done only x-rays and it came back ok.
    They said no to MRI, I don't knok why. They checked the strengh of my hands and said I'm fine but I dont' think so.
    I cannot rest and I cannot fall asleep at all.
    Now on sleepin pills that gives me sleep for 2 hours each night, that's all.
    I've been trying taking ibuprofen for the neck pain but it doesn't help me. What other pain medications do you recommend?

Last edited by nochange; 06-30-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You need to seek out an orthopedic spinal surgeon or neurosurgeon who will do a full review of you and your symptoms. The only medications that you can take, beyond what you are already taking, would be prescription meds.

Closed Thread