It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Posterior Cervical Laminectomy symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
    Posterior Cervical Laminectomy symptoms

I had a posterior cervical laminectomy six weeks ago. I thought i was doing Great, but I am still having tingling in my neck, I also notice that I don't have much strength in my right arm and it is still very sore. I also have a strange sensation (maybe like a pulling in the front of my shoulder) which is very uncomfortable. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this and if you have had similar symptoms and how long did it last. Will I ever feel normal again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Posterior Cervical Laminectomy symptoms

I had a posterior cervical foraminotomy 6 weeks ago (5/20). It was done on the left side, C5-C6 and C6-C7. My pre-op symptoms were pain down the left arm to my thumb and pointer finger and numbness/tingling in the fingers. (This after an ACDF 2 years ago that worked well, but the symptoms re-appeared about 6 months ago).

I definetly had a pulling feeling - felt like if I held my left arm up (almost like if I had a sling) then I felt better. Post op I was given percocet and valium and have flexeril as well (I take the flexeril OR the valium, not both at once). I am now down to 2 - 3 percocet and flexeril per day. 10 days ago I was still at the stage where if I wanted to get up at 8 to take a shower I had to wake up at 6, eat something light (rice cakes next to the bed) and take a percocet, flexeril and aspiring. Then I'd go back to sleep until they all kicked in and I could get up at 8 to tolerate moving around, showering, etc.

Today I made it to 1 pm before needing the meds. Probably could have gone longer but we needed milk and I drove 5 minutes to the store and back just to get milk and by the time I got home I had muscle pain, "pulling", and pain. I'm not sure yet if this surgery has worked. I still have nerve pain which feels like it's in my biceps and just a bit lower too - but not as bad as pre-op. I've been doing light treadmil to aviod getting deconditioned but that also seems to bother my arm/neck.

At first the plan was (per my disablity insurer) for me to go back to work today (6/30) but pain and muscle spasms have moved that date to 7/10.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
    Re: Posterior Cervical Laminectomy symptoms

It sounds like we have alot of the same symptoms. Mine is on the right side though. I don't know the difference between a laminectomy and a faraminotomy (maybe you can explain it). However I think I'll stop complaining, because you sound alot worse off than me. I went back to work (cleaning houses) 3 wks after op, and stopped taking all meds around the same time (weight gain). I also painted my kitchen last week, I showered 2 days after op, and was driving 5 days after. So I guess I'm just over doing it, and I have to realize Wonder Woman I'm "NOT".
    I hope you are feeling better soon.

Last edited by elle45; 07-01-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread