It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Fireworks in a Neck Brace !

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
    steph2fly
    (female)

steph2fly HB User
    Smile Fireworks in a Neck Brace !

Hello everyone, happy 4th of July!

I had an embarrassing thing happen to me last night but in the end I really had to laugh so I thought I would share. I was out on a date with a guy I had just met before my surgery and he asked to take me out to San Francisco to see the fireworks. When he called to ask me out I told him that I was still recovering from cervical surgery (he had not seen me since before the surgery) and that I was still in a neck brace and I was pretty self-conscious about how I looked in that thing but he was persistent so I reluctantly agreed.

After he picked me up, we drove into the city, had dinner at a nice little Italian Restaurant and then we went to chrissy field to watch the fireworks and that is when I discovered something I had not thought about..... Ever try looking up and watching fireworks in a very rigid neck brace, it really doesn't work very well. I subtly kept trying to crane my head back a bit to look up a little but it was just not comfortable nor was it working. Brent (my date) could see me struggling so he went and borrowed a reclining lounge chair from some people next to us and put me in it at about a 45 degree angle so I could comfortably watch the show! -LOL!! Oh my god, I was so embarrassed I wanted to crawl under a rock but it was a very sweet thing for him to do and in the end we both had a good laugh out of it.

He told me for our next date he was going to take me to a tennis match! - Ha, ha... funny guy!

Anyways, I thought I would share, we had a good laugh and I am glad I went.

Stephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User
    Re: Fireworks in a Neck Brace !

Stephanie,hi just wanted to tell you that was the sweetest thing ive heard in a long time and brought a big smile to my face,i am so happy you found such a sweet man ,just when i thought they were all bruts,lol,and your description of watching fire works with the neck brace was comical,you are blessed enjoy your new found relationship. marywoo

Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
    bk845
    (male)

bk845 HB User

Hi Steph. I have to say.. I'm glad to hear that someone else experienced the firework awkwardness in their neck brace. I'm 33 and had my C5-6 ACDF on June 19th. I am in an Aspen collar until July 21st and then go to a soft collar for 3 more weeks.

I live in Fort Lauderdale.. I stood on my balcony at my condo and overlooked the big sky of fireworks. The flat landscape here really allows us to see for probably 20 miles or so across the landscape. It was really nice to see all the random fireworks going off for hours. It was a task to twist from side to side to see some of the big fireworks tho as my friends would yell "wow that's a big one".. and by the time I twisted my body around it had already fizzled out. I think I was just as entertainment as the fireworks for my family and friends .. shuffling from side to side to catch a glimpse of a spark in the sky.

Thanks for the laugh. Don't be embarrased by your neckbrace... embrace the brace

Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Stephanie, you've found a keeper! I'm sorry about the embarrassment you felt, but what a sweet story.
    Meghan

Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
    andrea1965
    (female)

andrea1965 HB User
    Talking Re: Fireworks in a Neck Brace !

Hello Stephanie,

I actually burst out laughing when I read your story! I am sorry but I was not laughing at you I was laughing because I can total empathies with you! You see I too had a similar brace experience when I was watching fireworks the other night with my husband.

What type of brace does your Doctor have you in and for how long?

Sounds like the man you were with on your date is wonderful and considerate.

Thanks for sharing

Andrea

Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
    steph2fly
    (female)

steph2fly HB User

Hey Andrea,

Yes, it actually was funny and the real good new is Brent (my date that evening) has called me back since then and wants to go out again so I guess my Frankenstein neck brace did not scare him off too bad! - LOL.

My doctor has me in what's called a SOMI neck brace which is basically a "Y" shaped piece that fits over your shoulders and down on to your torso and straps around the back just below the bust line. It has metal bars that support a head piece in the back and in the front a single bar extends up to a padded chin piece which is formed to your jaw and chin. It has straps on the sides that connect to the head piece so you are basically lock in there pretty tight with little or no lateral or up and down movement. I am supposed to be in this thing for 8 - 12 weeks, 24/7 except when I shower I have an extended hard collar that I use.

How about you, what are you in that made firework watching difficult?

Stephanie

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Sounds like he's a keeper :-) If he can see you through this and help out - then he seems like a very caring guy!

Karin

Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
    andrea1965
    (female)

andrea1965 HB User

Hey Stephanie,

Wow, that is so strange because I was just talking to a lady today at my doctors office who I think was in the exact same brace you are. This was her second neck surgery in the last 5 years and according to this woman, her doctor (same orthopedic surgeonís group that I am in but a different surgeon) told her that this is a new brace they are now using on all their 2-level + cervical patients and that they have had something like a 90 Ė 95 percent successful fusion rate since the group has started using this type of brace post-op just over 2 years ago. So I guess you should consider yourself lucky (probably doesnít feel like that much but Ö:-))- that your Doctor and his group are on the progressive edge of medical technology and that you stand a very, very good chance of having a successful fusion!

Trust me when I say that I know what you are going through because actually my brace is even more restrictive than what you are in. I was thrown off a horse about 4 weeks ago and suffered a compression fracture in my back and crushed a disc in my neck. After the accident I was in the hospital for 4 days and am now recovering at home in whatís known as a CTLSO brace. I forgot what the acronym stands but I can tell you that I am braced from my hips to my chin so if you want to talk about a Frankenstein Brace, I think this monster takes the cake! It is a hard plastic job that starts at my hips and goes all the way up to my collar bone and fastens on the side like a clam shell with Velcro straps and buckles. What's worse is that mine is also equipped with a metal neck brace that is attached to the front and back parts of clam shell that extends up to a large chin piece in the front and a very big head piece in the back. Velcro straps firmly connect the chin piece with the head piece so I am basically supported from my chin to my hips. When I move I feel like a robot with zero lateral movement and if I need to look left or right, I actually have to turn my whole body Ė It is not fun! , especially in this California heat we have been having lately!

Anyway, I donít mean to talk about my problems because I know everyone here has their own. The good news in my case the doctor actually said that everything is looking very good after my appointment today. Unfortunately he said nothing about when I can shed this beast so I guess I (we) will just keep our chinís up and hopefully we will have solid recoveries.

Be well and please keep in touch, I look forward to corresponding with you more in the near future.

Andrea

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Andrea:

CTLSO=Cervical Thoracic Lumbar Sacral Orthosis (meaning just as you said - braced from top to bottom).

Karin

Old 07-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
    andrea1965
    (female)

andrea1965 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
    Andrea:

CTLSO=Cervical Thoracic Lumbar Sacral Orthosis (meaning just as you said - braced from top to bottom).

Karin
    Oh, is that what it means? Thanks Karin - and you are right, from top to bottom - yuck! Going to the Doc next week for a checkup so maybe I will be all healed up and ready to shead this thing! -- Keeping my fingers crossed.

Andrea

Last edited by andrea1965; 07-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
    steph2fly
    (female)

steph2fly HB User

Hey Andrea,

Wow, I thought I had it bad, (even though this brace really isn't that terrible) but mine is nothing like yours! I looked up CTLSO on line and wow, you poor thing! I am so sorry you are suffering in that thing but I hope and pry that you get all healed up quickly and your doctors gives you the green light to be rid of that thing! Let us know how you do at your doctor's appointment this week. We are all pulling for you..

Yes, it is funny that I have read about or talked to several people that either are in the same SOMI brace as I am or are going to be one after their upcoming surgeries. Everyone is a 2 level + type of neck patient. My Doctor say he does not use them on only 1 level surgeries but he swears by them for 2 + levels so I hope he is right. If so, it will make the inconveance of wearing this seem very, very insignificant. I go in next week for my 6 week check-up and I am keeping my fingers crossed as well that things are healing up and maybe I can get rid of my brace early .

Huggs (() and get better soon

Steph

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrea1965 View Post
    Hey Stephanie,

Wow, that is so strange because I was just talking to a lady today at my doctors office who I think was in the exact same brace you are. This was her second neck surgery in the last 5 years and according to this woman, her doctor (same orthopedic surgeon’s group that I am in but a different surgeon) told her that this is a new brace they are now using on all their 2-level + cervical patients and that they have had something like a 90 – 95 percent successful fusion rate since the group has started using this type of brace post-op just over 2 years ago. So I guess you should consider yourself lucky (probably doesn’t feel like that much but …:-))- that your Doctor and his group are on the progressive edge of medical technology and that you stand a very, very good chance of having a successful fusion!

Trust me when I say that I know what you are going through because actually my brace is even more restrictive than what you are in. I was thrown off a horse about 4 weeks ago and suffered a compression fracture in my back and crushed a disc in my neck. After the accident I was in the hospital for 4 days and am now recovering at home in what’s known as a CTLSO brace. I forgot what the acronym stands but I can tell you that I am braced from my hips to my chin so if you want to talk about a Frankenstein Brace, I think this monster takes the cake! It is a hard plastic job that starts at my hips and goes all the way up to my collar bone and fastens on the side like a clam shell with Velcro straps and buckles. What's worse is that mine is also equipped with a metal neck brace that is attached to the front and back parts of clam shell that extends up to a large chin piece in the front and a very big head piece in the back. Velcro straps firmly connect the chin piece with the head piece so I am basically supported from my chin to my hips. When I move I feel like a robot with zero lateral movement and if I need to look left or right, I actually have to turn my whole body – It is not fun! , especially in this California heat we have been having lately!

Anyway, I don’t mean to talk about my problems because I know everyone here has their own. The good news in my case the doctor actually said that everything is looking very good after my appointment today. Unfortunately he said nothing about when I can shed this beast so I guess I (we) will just keep our chin’s up and hopefully we will have solid recoveries.

Be well and please keep in touch, I look forward to corresponding with you more in the near future.

Andrea

Last edited by steph2fly; 07-15-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Closed Thread