It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck, shoulder, migraine issues.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
    Klea73
    (female)

Klea73 HB User
    Neck, shoulder, migraine issues.

About 2 months ago I began to have pains in my shoulder. The pain felt deep in my shoulder and kind of sharp. Then the pain began to radiate around my shoulder into various places, i.e. deltoids, trapezius and outer side of upper arm. Then the pain started radiating into my elbow and forearm (but not constantly and not every day). I went to a GP who took an XRay of my shoulder and said it looked fine and referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon. He did some range of motion tests and sent me for a MRI of my shoulder with impingement as a possible cause. The MRI of my shoulder came back fine. He asked me questions about my neck and I told him I have chronic neck pain (he also asked me this on the 1st visit but seemed to have forgotten). He took XRays of my neck and discovered that my natural curve is not only gone, my neck is curving in the wrong direction. He sent me for a neck MRI and EMG. I asked him to take a few days off of work, which he didn't seem jazzed about, but I can't sleep and my job is very physically laborious (I have to be able to lift 50lbs unassisted and I have to be able to push or pull 200lbs. unassisted... I am 5 foot 4 inches at 120lbs.). He did agree to give me a few days off and even suggested I take a week. I get the results back in 2 days and I looked at the films myself. There are 3 disks that are sticking out into my spinal cord area. I am assuming they are bulging?

My questions are: would this neck problem give me pain in my shoulder? The pain feels muscular most of the time. I also have debilitating migraine headaches which always originate from my neck. In my last visit with my neurologist, he said I had no reflexes in my arms. Could my neck issue be causing the headaches? And lastly, does anyone know if I will be able to continue to work at my job? The thing that stinks is that I actually like my job, but I am not willing to hurt myself further for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Neck, shoulder, migraine issues.

klea73, yes, neck pain can cause headacke, migraines and also it radiates to the shoulder into shoulder pain.
    From what I understand there is an "intersection" of nerves and muscles connected from the neck to the head and shoulder.
    (Was listening yesterday to the radio, they were talking about it).
    They were saying that that's why it's so hard to understand the neck pain cause of all this "interesection".

Last edited by nochange; 07-17-2008 at 04:27 AM.

Closed Thread