It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Severe Cord Impingement C5-C6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
    calm77
    (female)

calm77 HB User
    Severe Cord Impingement C5-C6

I had a fusion of C6-C7 about 15 years ago following a drunk driver running into me and 3 years of physical therapy. I have been having uncontrollable movements that look like seizures, my legs feel like cement, I have neuropathy in my feet and numbness and tingling in my hands and arms with constant cringe type feelings when I move.

The drs put me through all sorts of tests from sleep studies to stress tests and had concluded that my jerking was "psychogenic." (I was also doing physical therapy for my neck and back trying to deal with the pain. The more I went, the worse I felt.) I felt so defeated and offended. I insisted that they do a neck MRI as I knew this was not in my head.

The nurse called me on Friday and asked who my original surgeon was because I needed to be referred for additional surgery because I have Severe Cord Impingement C5-C6 with disk bulge. I was at the hair dresser at the time and could barely hear her. This feels sureal.

The first time I had the surgery there was not cord involvement. I am wondering what this could mean for me. I also have a rather large "hump" and the top of the hump is c5-c6. They have never done a thoracic or lumbar MRI even though they say I have a twisted vertebrae in the lumbar area and I have the obvious hump. Could you please give me some advice as to what I should do next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
    christina_142
    (female)

christina_142 HB User
    Re: Severe Cord Impingement C5-C6

omgosh that is not good from what i have read before. i would talk more with your doc. when is your next appt with him/her.

i hope more knowledgable ppl respond to you because i can't really help except that i know that it's not good to have the spinal cord impinged

Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
    calm77
    (female)

calm77 HB User

Thank you, Christina. I am waiting for a call back.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Calm, i cant really tell you what to do as far as surgery goes,that is definately a personal decision,but i also have that hump your talking about in the exact area,ive been icing it and that really helps,i also stopped lifting heavy things when at all possible,iam really sorry i wished i could be of help. marywoo

Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
    calm77
    (female)

calm77 HB User

Marywoo, thank you for your reply. I ice, too, Hugs!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Calm, did the fusion cause the eventual impingement? I am wondering if I have a situation similar to yours. It's a long story, but I am very curious to hear more about your situation. Also, is the "hump" and actual hump in your spine? Please give more details if you can.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
    calm77
    (female)

calm77 HB User

I posted in another post my actual MRI report. I was called by my neurologist's nurse to say that I had severe cord impingement. When I got the report, it did not read exactly the same way.

As to if the previous fusion caused the problems I am having now, well I guess the answer is yes. It puts additional stress above and below the fusion causing a cascade effect. Many doctors have told me that having a fusion in my 20s was not a good thing. Obviously, I would not have chosen to have a problem that early in my life but a drunk driver ran into me.

The hump is a hump in my spine but the DRs seem to completely ignore it saying that they have no idea what it is. I have a bulging disk at the top of the hump, the fusion is in the middle and I am not sure where the hump ends.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Last edited by calm77; 07-23-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread