It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Why would Cipro or Flagyl take away neck pain???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
    Why would Cipro or Flagyl take away neck pain???

I have DDD and buldging disk in my cervical spine with bone spurs. I have had constant pain for over a year. Started taking cipro and flagyl for another reason now the pain is gone. I can turn my head without pain now. Why would this happen??? I hope it lasts once I go off the meds in a few days.

Last edited by jbsim; 07-28-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: Why would Cipro or Flagyl take away neck pain???

That is peculiar. Both are for bacterial infections. My son and husand take them for their medical conditions when in flare-ups (hubby gets pouchitis in his J-pouch and son takes them when his crohn's disease flares up). I know that peripheral neuropathy can be a side effect of metronidazole (generic flagyl) if it's taken for long periods, so that is even more perplexing to me that taking them would coincide with relief for you. I'm glad you've found relief, but have no idea what connection it may have to those drugs. Very curious. I'd definitely ask your pharmacist, see if they know anything about a possible connection. Is it possible you also had some kind of infection in the same area that caused inflammation, makind it even more painful and difficult to turn your head?? I'm shooting in the dark, but you never know.
    I hope your relief is sustained and wish you the best.
    Meghan

Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

thanks for the reply. I did look up side effects also and they would suggest causing pain not fixing it. I am going to mention it to my Doctor and pharmacist and see what they say. I thought well maybe I had an infection in the area but for that long??? That would be weird.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Infections can last that long, including Lyme disease and osteomyelitis. I would definitely look into this more, if I were you.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

I am going to see my Dr tommorow so I will mention it.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
    jeanette66
    (female)

jeanette66 HB User

warning on taking cipro it causes torn tendons and damage to hips arms shoulders and it causes torn rotor cuffs and tindinitis in all joints where ever there is a tendon thanks

Last edited by jeanette66; 08-08-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: misspelling of cipro

Closed Thread