It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 Weeks Post-Op ACDF - Need Advice Please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
    leapyear
    (female)

leapyear HB User
    3 Weeks Post-Op ACDF - Need Advice Please

I am 3 weeks post-op ACDF and feeling really well. I had discs removed between C4 & C5, and C5 & C6 with donated bone plugs, fusion with screws and a titanium plate. I wore the soft collar for 2 weeks. I am scheduled to go back to work at 6 weeks, but am wondering if I should go back earlier, say at 5 weeks. I guess I feel guilty about being off work so long and others having to take up my duties. I do accounting work so I am always looking up at the computer and then down at the desk. With the collar off, should I still try to refrain from looking up and down and side to side? I do some of this, trying to ease a little more in each day. But, as I do more, I really start to feel heavy pressure and tingling in my shoulders and the base of the neck. At that point I usually have to just stop and lay down, and maybe even take ˝ pain pill.

I have done some daily walking. I do bend over sometimes and wonder if I really shouldn’t. Also, I don’t know if any neck exercises should wait until after 6 weeks. I really feel an urge to stretch the shoulders & neck, maybe because of the pressure I feel. My neurosurgeon surgeon is in surgery 3 days a week and in the office the other 2.

She is an excellent surgeon, but she basically leaves decisions up to me rather than give me specific orders. She is very quiet and doesn’t really volunteer information. I have to bring up the questions. And, then, it’s “do it when you feel up to it” or “when do you think you’ll be ready to go back to work”. She basically leaves it up to me. I am really committed to going back at 6 weeks, and want to be ready for an 8-9 hr day. Right now, I know I’m not. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks to everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread