It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 Wks. Post ACDF - Exercise & Muscle Relaxers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
    leapyear
    (female)

leapyear HB User
    3 Wks. Post ACDF - Exercise & Muscle Relaxers

I am a little over 3 weeks post ACDF (2 level). I am walking every day, but am wondering if I should do any neck or shoulder exercises, or if it's too soon. I really feel the need to pull and stretch the neck and shoulder area, because of the pressure I feel. From what I've been reading it's too early to do any exercises for these areas in order not to mess up the fusion, etc.

I am taking 750 Robaxin 3 times daily. I think these are habit forming if taken for too long a time and am wondering how long I can take them. The first few days I didn't notice them doing anything because I was also taking pain meds. at the same time. Now, I am rarely taking any pain meds, but still feel a lot of pressure and stiffness in those areas. I sometimes have tingling, but not all the time.

I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks! Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: 3 Wks. Post ACDF - Exercise & Muscle Relaxers

I would say 3 weeks is too soon. You can possibly massage the area by hand - but I was told no stretching or exercising that affects the neck - as it can inhibit fusion.

Are you wearing a cervical collar? I was in an Aspen collar for 6 weeks post-ACDF and it seemed to help me avoid spasms and muscle pain.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
    leapyear
    (female)

leapyear HB User
    Re: 3 Wks. Post ACDF - Exercise & Muscle Relaxers

I wore a soft collar for 2 weeks and then it came off. Thanks so much on the stretching area. I have heard both ways. Appreciate it! Sandy

Closed Thread