It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Stenosis Microsurgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
    James44
    (male)

James44 HB User
    Cervical Stenosis Microsurgery

I have been diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis. It is causing tingling and pain in my right arm. So far I don't have severe pain and have not lost any mobility of my neck or arm. I am concerned about this condition progressing. I visited a neurologist who indicated surgery would consist of operating through the anterior of my neck to reach the cervical spine. He thought my condition didn't yet warrant surgery. A year has passed and the condition has not gotten any better. It is not much worse and other than being limited in my sleeping positions and needing an ibuprophen once or twice daily it hasn't gotten much worse. I started considering Micorsurgery to prevent the problem from progressing. I have seen that there are at least 3 clinics in Florida who do this. MicroSpine, Laser Spine Institute, and Bonati Institute. I see mixed reviews on all of them. Apparently MicroSpine and Laser Spine Institute require large up-front payments which makes me nervous. Bonati has had problems with the Medical Board. All have patients who believe they are wonderful and others who think they are terrible. Any thoughts on which of these clinics is best and whether the risk of the microsurgery is worth eliminating the tingling/numbness and moderate pain I have. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
    Mod08
    Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User
    Re: Cervical Stenosis Microsurgery

James,

You thread has been relocated to the proper message board. The back board is for lumbar back problems and the spinal cord disorders board is for the cervical and thoracic issues.

Thank you,
    Mod 08

Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

James:

It may pay to consult with other Neurosurgeons and Orthopedic Spine Surgeons where you are located. There are some really good options out there for surgical treatment. Have you seen a Neurosurgeon or just a Neurologist?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
    James44
    (male)

James44 HB User

I saw a Neurosurgeon when my problem was first diagnosed. He talked about anterior entry through the neck to reach the spine. He did not encourage surgery saying the condition wasn't bad enough to recommend it. I agree that open spinal surgery seems likely to require considerable recovery and have significant risks. The microsurgery I am considering appears to have much quicker recovery and would appear to have fewer risks.

Closed Thread