It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User
    Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM side effects

Hello,

I've been suffering from herniated cervical disks and it makes my life miserable for the past 6 years. Have tried everything, muslce relaxants (makes me dizzy and am already from the disk problem), anti inflmatory (have to much problems already with heartburns and gerd), tylenol does not help either. Stetching, heat and a neck band, still no relief.

At the end of the day my head fells like a hundred pounds. My question is I lately decided to try the gluco. chondroi. msm. Surprised it helped a lot. But I am not able to fall asleep anymore, and feel spaced out. It took 20 days to have an effect on my neck but it has made enormous changes for the better.

Tried to take them in the morning (was on 3 pills a day), for a couple of days, and also went down to one pill in the morning (for one day). Still couldn't sleep.l

Has anyone suffered these side effects, and has it resolved after a while taking them, and maybe taking only chondroitin and msm alone, not sure which is keeping me awake, did not find mulch info on the internet just two posts saying that it had an effect on sleep.

All comments are welcome, and appreciated

Elga

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM side effects

I take glucosamine chondroitin every day at around dinner time and haven't had any of the affects you mentioned.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User

Thanks wish I was like you, as it helped me, maybe I'll try again with another brand, thanks for answering

Elga

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Hello Elga,
    I've been taking Glucosamine with Chondroitin (sometimes with MSM, sometimes not) for years now for my hand arthritis. I ususally take it in the morning, but not always. I almost always take it with food. Maybe that is an issue?? I have not noticed the side effects you mentioned, although I don't always get good sleep, so maybe there's something there. I don't know. Have you tried different brands? I have heard that some brands aren't necessarily as good or as 'pure' as others. I also take fish and flaxseed oil for my arthritis (my Rheumatologist told me to) -maybe if these all (the oilds and the glucosamin/chondroitin) help my arthritis and the one helps your disk, the oils might help your disks, too? I've no idea, just guessing. If you do try them, though, take them with food and make sure to buy a good brand. Some brands give me a sick stomach and nausea (I don't buy those, lol).
    Good luck!
    Meghan

Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
    grammie2005
    (female)

grammie2005 HB User

Elga
    I have had a herniaed disc for20 years now and Stretching does help me. I just went last week and had a epidural and it also helped... getting so I couldn't move as atheritis has set all in it..

Stretching and walking, exerise has helped me.. you need to join a health club.. and strengthen your back ... IT will help.. save me surgery

Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
    Elga
    (female)

Elga HB User

Hello

Meghan, Unfortunatly, taking my pill in the morning did not help and with food either. I'll give it another try because after thinking at that period I also took Naproxen for around 4 days (like I said before it bothers my stomach), so maybe it came from the Naproxen not the glucosamine. Searching more I found a couple of people who also reported this side effect from glucosamine. Also about the different brand good suggestion, might also try MSM by itself read it could help. I take fish oil too and it does help a bit. Cannot take flaxseed as I have suffered breast cancer and it's on the list of things I have to avoid. I'm glad you found some rellief.

grammie, I've had a little apparatus that strectches the neck, tried it a bit and did not see the difference. I walk 3 times a week but cannot exercise much due to fatigue and risk of lymphodema in both arms. Also have tendonitis in one foot that's why I'm looking for meds for help. I'll try to have the shots in the neck with cortisone and see if that helps, I imagine that's what you got in your back. Wish you all a good day

Elga

Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
    Sephrenia
    (female)

Sephrenia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elga View Post
    Hello,

I've been suffering from herniated cervical disks and it makes my life miserable for the past 6 years. Have tried everything, muslce relaxants (makes me dizzy and am already from the disk problem), anti inflmatory (have to much problems already with heartburns and gerd), tylenol does not help either. Stetching, heat and a neck band, still no relief.

At the end of the day my head fells like a hundred pounds. My question is I lately decided to try the gluco. chondroi. msm. Surprised it helped a lot. But I am not able to fall asleep anymore, and feel spaced out. It took 20 days to have an effect on my neck but it has made enormous changes for the better.

Tried to take them in the morning (was on 3 pills a day), for a couple of days, and also went down to one pill in the morning (for one day). Still couldn't sleep.l

Has anyone suffered these side effects, and has it resolved after a while taking them, and maybe taking only chondroitin and msm alone, not sure which is keeping me awake, did not find mulch info on the internet just two posts saying that it had an effect on sleep.

All comments are welcome, and appreciated

Elga

Yes - I experienced sleeping problems. Both being sleepy in the day and not sleeping at night. I have arthritis in the cervical part of my spine (neck). After losing a block of pain, I found other pain came - disk prolems. Spacey? Yes. and emotionally sensitive. In another world. I read, when I first started Gl-Ch with MSM that when taking a supplement, it is the only time it is found in the brain, although normal elsewhere in the body. I have not been able to find where I read that, except some testing they are doing with mice and I have no clue what they are talking about. At this time I have been off of it about 9 months and feel better mentally and I sleep much better, allthough still some problems. I have a friend that also seems to have a problem communicating with the usage.

That is a confirmation for you. I sure would like to hear from a professional on this.

Sephrenia

Last edited by Sephrenia; 09-25-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
    Sephrenia
    (female)

Sephrenia HB User

I had a herniated disk and rest took it away. I happened to have a hydabed in a garden apartment and the wide back met with the windowsill. I put a pillow across it, put my feet up, put a light board on my lap for my mouse and played computer games in-between doing any housework or other things. With my neck in the condition it is I can't be up a lot. That was the way I rested and the hernia happened to go away.

Closed Thread