It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Need Wedge Pillow Info. For after ACDF surgery!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Need Wedge Pillow Info. For after ACDF surgery!

Hey everyone,

i have heard a lot of people who have the ACDF surgery have purchased a wedge pillow.

I would like to purchase one in memory foam and I have found some on-line, but I am not sure what size would work best.

For me I know I would use it for both sleepiing and for propping myself up while on the couch watching TV or in bed reading etc.

The problem is they come in so many sizes. I think that I would like one that is somewhere in the neiborhood of 10-12 inches in heigth, but then wonder if I should purchase a lower one because the higher one may cause me to slip down.
    I have been searching and some people say they slip pn them and others say they are the best thing ever.

So if you have one or if you have used one I would like some feed back

Thanks
    Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
    MisfitCharlie
    (female)

MisfitCharlie HB User
    Re: Need Wedge Pillow Info. For after ACDF surgery!

Hi Chrissy,
    Don't know if this will help, like you i am trying to get ready for the surgery.I just bought a wedge pillow at bed bath & beyond actually I bought 2 they cost about $30 each ,they did'nt have the memory foam (wish they did I love memory foam, I bought the sealy temporpedic matresses last year best money I ever spent)they are nice though about 7 inches high at the top end and they taper down at a good slope, I put them on top of each other during the day to watch tv and play on the puter, etc. if I'm in bed, Sadly that is where i usually am if not at the Dr's. and at night I use one with my regular memory foam pillow on top for extra cush, seems to be working ok so far,I have'nt had a problem with slippage.It so much easier than trying to get regular pillows all in the right spots and keeping them there ,poor hubby was getting pushed out of bed because of all the pillows.Hopefully they'll work as well after surgery ,I don't want to have to sleep in a chair.

hope your day goes well,
    Misfit

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Chrissy:

I have the 7 inch one and then another one that is about 14 inches. You could use two 7 inch ones. The memory foam ones can be quite heavy so I prefer the regular ones (once I started feeling better I'd shift pillows or wedges in the middle of the night and wouldn't want to mess with the heaviness of a memory foam one). The 14 incher was good to sleep more upright and to watch TV. The 7 incher was better for when I wanted to be a bit lower and keep myself from side sleeping.

I swear I would have preferred a hospital type bed at home. At least then you can raise/lower your head and legs to whatever is most comfortable. I'm only 42 and keep thinking about getting a hospital type bed for my husband and I eventually. I think he knows with my back and neck it's somethign I'll do eventually. Tempurpedic makes one but it is so freaking expensive.

Karin

Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey all,

Well I did much searching and looking at wedges this morning on the net.

I finally found one that I really liked the best. Unfortunately it is very expensive.

It is actually 3 pieces. These are the measurements of the set

Wedge Pillow: 30" L x 28" W x 9"H
    Lumbar Pillow: 28"L x 6"W x 4"H
    Cervical Pillow: 28L x 8"W x 4"H

When dealing with the lumbar pillow and cervical pillow the length is differnt.

The lumbar and cervical are like support pillows and are 100% memory foam.

The wedge is made out of the same thing as a temperpedic mattress. The top layer is memory foam.

Yes it was spendy, but I am going to turn in thr recipit to the attorney and hopefully I will be re-paid for it in the end.

I am haveing a really bad neck spasam today and I really got to take a break right now.
    It actually feels like it is getting worse not better.
    Chrissy

The Following User Says Thank You to skych For This Useful Post:
    lotussandy (05-26-2012)
    Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Chrissy:

I think I know the set you are talking about and I've been tempted to buy it as well. Let me know how it works out for you.

Karin

Old 08-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey Karin,

No problem. I think it should come some time next week. I will let you know. I can't wait to use it.

Acrually I ended up in the ER last night and when I fianlly got home I could have used that wedge. I was pretty miserable.

Chrissy

Closed Thread