It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 Months Post ACDF - Scar Treatment - What's Best?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
    leapyear
    (female)

leapyear HB User
    2 Months Post ACDF - Scar Treatment - What's Best?

I had ACDF 2 months ago. My 1 1/2 inch scar is still somewhat lumpy, reddish in places, and itches from time to time. Actually, some people say it's hardly noticeable, so that's a plus.

Is it too early to use Vitamin E oil or Mederma? Or, should I leave it alone and let it fully heal on its own? The initial swelling has reduced a lot, and I realize it does take time. Any suggestions? Thanks to all who reply! Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
    bk845
    (male)

bk845 HB User
    Re: 2 Months Post ACDF - Scar Treatment - What's Best?

Hi,

My surgeon told me to begin using Vitamin E oil as soon as the wound itself healed.. with was approx 10 days after my surgery. I have been using it religiously and my scar is beginning to heal nicely. I am 33 year-old male.. and didn't really have a 'crease' for the scar to hide in so I'm being very careful and taking care of the incision area. Shaving is the most difficult, but is getting easier as it heals.

Although I live in Fort Lauderdale.. I have not gotten out in the sun after surgery. However, it is important to use sun protection on your incision and scar as it is very sensitive to UV rays and will darken more easiliy than surrounding skin. So I will probably start using Maderma with Sunscreen when I do go out in the sun or a strong SPF sunscreen.

I have read that it takes up to a year or more for the scar to heal. My surgery was June 19. My incision seems to be healing faster than the rest of me

Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
    leapyear
    (female)

leapyear HB User

Thank you so much for your comments!! My surgery was July 9. The incision area is still a little tender. I, too, didn't really have any creases in that area, but it looks like I do now! haha I am not really disappointed at all, though. It looks so much better than I had envisioned it might. It can always be a conversation starter, too... like, "oh, I was in a gang fight and got stabbed! You should see the other guy!" hahaha Thanks again. Sandy

Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Hi Sandy, My ACDF was almost 5 months ago and I'm quite pleased with how my scar looks now. I started rubbing vitamin E oil in at 6 weeks if I remember correctly -I waited 'til the area wasn't tender to my touch anymore. I rubbed it in about twice daily. I try to remember to use sun protection (Northern California gal here, 39yo), but there have been a couple times that I forgot to. I don't have a crease, the scar is now a light pink and completely flat to my skin, not at all ropy or thick anymore. I also rubbed the area (even w/o the oil) a few to several times a day b/c I was told that the friction of rubbing would help flatten the scar. As for conversation starter, tell people your barber is Sweeney Todd. That's what my physical therapist suggested, lol. I HATED my scar when I first saw it, though it was really ugly. It's not anymore. Sometimes I miss my 'clear' neckline (when all gussied up, for instance), but it doesn't actually bother me. Oh, and it doesn't even always show up noticeably in pictures. I like that. When it does, it's so faint anyway. One more 'oh' --I bought Mederma, but ended up only using the vitamin E oil and returned the Mederma unopened. I'm very pleased with my results.
    Good luck (to bk, too!),
    Meghan

Closed Thread