It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• lipomatosis and missing right frontal lobe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
    janie9
    (female)

janie9 HB User
    lipomatosis and missing right frontal lobe

recently my daughter was found to have massive amounts of lipomas within her spinal column. She was told she also shows no left frontal lobe on cranial mri....this is confusing....no symptoms of any kind..she is healthy, 43, mother, wife....recently retired from demanding out of the home career. what to do next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User
    Re: lipomatosis and missing right frontal lobe

First, I can tell you that from my research, "lipomas" are normal and harmless UNLESS they grow very large at which point they may have to be removed. On the MRI if they show normal findings and are not impinging anything, I wouldn't worry about them, but definately confirm this info with your Dr. As for the other findings, I cannot comment on them, because I am not familiar with findings of Brain MRI information.

What brought her to the Dr. to begin with? What was the reason for the spinal and cranial MRI's?

GOOD LUCK.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
    janie9
    (female)

janie9 HB User

she went to ER with only complaint of chest and arm pain and indigestion. they did a ct scan and then moved on to mri's..she said she will NEVER go to an ER again! what would you think of a second opinion or even a 3rd...with an internist and a neurologist. The doc who saw her is a surgeon...and we all agree this should be the last resort.

thanks for your answer.

Last edited by janie9; 09-09-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Janie:

I wish I had an answer for you. Most of us here are dealing with cervical spine issues (fusions, disc problems, etc). Hopefully someone will stop by who can give you some information.

I will tell you that a neurosurgeon is the best choice for treatment and second/third opinions, not a neurologist. A neurosurgeon does not only do surgery - most look for the least invasive and most efficient treatment - not soley surgery. It's like going to an orthopedic surgeon for a broken arm - they may cast it, and xray it, but never do surgery on it. And with the findings she seems to have no internist will treat her - they will likely refer her to a neurosurgeon. It's beyond the scope of what an internist will be comfortable treating (though they can help "quarterback" getting her to the right doctor, etc). My internist helped me find my Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and Neurosurgeon.

I would suggest she get a copy of the MRI narrative report so she and you can read it and review it. Seems odd to be missing a lobe of your brain and not know it your whole life (but I suppose anything is possible).

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-09-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Closed Thread