It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ? for cervical veterans...additional level of fusion possible:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Question ? for cervical veterans...additional level of fusion possible:

I had a C5-C7 ACDF 5/2006. I had some residual symptoms return and had a C5-C6 and C6-C7 posterior foraminotomy 5/2008. Now the symptoms I feel tend to be concentrated on each side in my bicep area. Based on xrays and my symptoms my orth spine surgeon is sending me for an MRI and seemed to hint that maybe the C4-C5 level now needs to be fixed.

Let's say he recommends ACDF at that level - since I have hardware C5-C7 can they remove that and just put more in to be C4-C7? What kind of options are there when you've had an ACDF an the level above (or below) now needs some attention?

Thanks
    Karin

Last edited by SpineAZ; 09-11-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: ? for cervical veterans...additional level of fusion possible:

Hi! My options were leave it or revision surgery. This is a little more complicated surgery for the surgeon. The plate will be taken out , lots of scar tissue/bone growth, a new smaller plate will be placed on the new area. It is more painful for your recovery because of the extra drilling/work they do. They went in same scar but extended it.expect a bit more pain-longer recovery. Maybe NOT a reduction in pain for long time-like years.seems like the body didn't like the additional trauma in the same area.Make them show with high confidence it is the thing generating your pain before you do try another procedure! I have another adj level that we left alone since we came to the conclusion there will never be enough surgery and reserving it for when older or when things advance. Prior I didn't have much neck pain and now I do have arthritic pain-mine was previously radicular to arms chest back. Not sure if that was coming anyway; good luck!
    NP

Closed Thread