It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Question to post ACDF members regarding dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
    Question to post ACDF members regarding dizziness

Last 2 days I have been quite dizzy especially getting out of bed. And tilting my head back while sitting, or leaning forward makes me dizzy lasting more than a few seconds. Blood pressure is 135/70. Only medication I take is ibuprofin and vitamins. And no I am not drinking!

No evidence of an inner ear issue, or tinitus.

Had my 2 level ACDF 2 yrs ago. C4/5 was questionable and neuro decided not to do. Fused at c5/c6, c6/c7 did NOT fuse. I had donor bone and titanium plate.

I wonder what the complications of nonfusion are?

Could dizziness be related to worsening of c4/c5? This past month has been painful on my left side neck/trap and base of skull.

Prior to my surgery my pain was mostly right sided.

Quite frankly this is nerve wracking. If you see the time of this post, I was awakened with head spins! I would appreciate any input on the dizzy symptoms.

Thanks
    July

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    Re: Question to post ACDF members regarding dizziness

Hi July
    Sorry to hear about the dizzy symptom - I have that experience since my ACDFs in 2004 & 2005.

I learned there are two general kinds of dizziness - there's the 'light headed' kind, and there's the 'room spinning out of control' kind - which of these (could be both) are you experiencing?

ABout 5 months after my first ACDF I had both - and took some meds (for the light headed kind) and had a procedure call 'canolith repositioning technique' for the 'spinning out of control, or vertigo' kind.

It is a complicated thing, to fuse vertebrae - and your symptoms could be related to your C-spine problems. But dizziness could also be due to a number of other conditions. If it's bothering you enough, it's time to visit the medical people again and see what they can figure out.

There's lot's of details I could share from my experience if any of it sounds similar to yours, so let me know if you'd like some more input.

Bob

Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the reply Bob! It's the spinning out of control, feel like I might lose my balance. Its odd it just suddenly started. I am in great health otherwise just the spine! If you have more info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

July

Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

There are probably a lot of things that might cause these symptoms, but some of them aren't that terrible (after we've had C-spine problems, I find I don't have trouble imagining the worst!)

Do an on line search on 'Canalith Repositioning' and see if the things you read line up with what you are experiencing. Canaliths are little crystals that reside in the inner ear, and are a key element for balance - if they get into the wrong part of the inner ear, it can cause the vertigo symptoms you desribe.

Your primary care Dr is probably the first stop if you think this could be worth pursuing - he would refer you to an audiologist who can perform tests in the office to see if this is the problem. This turned out to be the cause of my vertigo after my first ACDF, and it probably wasn't related to the surgery. There was some speculation that the canaliths migrated to the wrong area during the surgery, but there's no way to know that for sure.

Of course it could be something else, too, and if your symptoms persist you should probably see a Dr in any case - otherwise you will continue to worry and there's no point in living with vertigo, whatever the cause!

Hope this is helpful - best luck
    Bob

Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks again!

July

Closed Thread