It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF complications 1yr post-op,freaking out!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
    sterlingfrog
    (female)

sterlingfrog HB User
    Unhappy ACDF complications 1yr post-op,freaking out!!!Help

Hi everyone, i just signed up here this morning because in kinda freaking out and dont know what to do..for the last 2 days i've been playing phone tag with my neurosurgeons office!
    Heres why...

In 2006 i was in a major car accident where i was the passenger, my side of the car took the entire impact! I was told by the rescue workers that to look at the car afterwards i was lucky to have come out of it alive. When i was taken to hospital after the accident all that was done was a quick xray to make sure nothing was broken. luckily(or un lucky) nothing was broken and after 8 hours in emerg they sent me home with some dolaudid for the excrutiating pain i was in..
    2 weeks later i had a follow-up with the doc who had seen me at the hospital. when she realised just how much pain i was in and that i had lost control of my right arm just a little she decided to send me for an MRI.
    Result: 2 herniated discs..c4,5 and c5,6 with the c,5,6, being the worst of the two.
    After several apointments with a neurosurgeon at the Notre Dame Hospital and all kinds of frustration from being told that yes i needed surgery but they wanted to wait up to 5 years to see if it would correct itself.
    In April of 2007 I finally couldn't take it anymore..I hadnt had a decent sleep in over a year because of the pain radiating from my neck through to my fingers, headaches so bad that all i could do was rock myself back and forth and moan in agony(pain killers didnt do much at all!!) and my fingers were numb and by that point i had lost about 50 percent of my mobility in my arm and had broken most of the dishes in the house because of it..
    I had met a man who worked at the Montreal Neurological Institute and who gave a copy of my file to a trusted surgeon there.THANK GOD was all i could think when she decided to take me on as a patient.
    She(doc) told me i should have been operated on as soon as the hernias were found because te c5,6 one was causing a compression on the spinal cord as well as the nerve root. She did a ACDF. There was no metal plates or screws used to hold the surgibone in place but i spent 10 weeks in a hard collar(hopefully never again it was a nightmare).The surgery at that point was considered a success. I did 6 months of intensive PT(gently at first then getting more intensive).
    When i woke up from my surgery other than the regular sore throat and surgery site pain i realised i didnt seem to have the same excrutiating pain as before but still had numbness and some discomfort.I was on cloud nine!!

I had a few months where i was feeling great...even the numbness seemed to go away after a while.

Heres where it goes wrong, About 4 or 5 months ago my neck started to make a nasty crunching sound and the numbness started comming back but in both arms. The headaches too but alot worse than ever and now for the last couple of weeks my upper back has felt bruised and i have very little strength in my hands and arms most of the time. I had requested a copy of my medical files a few days ago to be able to take the auto insurance of quebec to court because they cut me off of everything!!
    Here is what was written in my file:FINDINGS
    ON THE LATERAL VIEW THERE IS A REVERSAL OF THE NORMAL LORDOSIS AND THE KYPHOTIC ANGLE OF THE SPINE AT THE LEVEL C4,5.
    THERE IS A SMALL AMOUNT OF BONE GRAFT THAT HAS EXTRUDED ITSELF ANTERIORLY FROM THE DISC SPACE.
    THE PRE-VERTTEBRAL SOFT TISSUE IS MORE PROMINENT.
    THERE IS A MARKEDLY DECREASED HIGHT OF THE INTERVERTEBRAL DISC SPACE AT C5,6.
    THE PRE-VERTEBRAL TISSUE ANTERIOR TO THE SURGICAL SITE IS CAUSING COMPRESSION ON THE OROPHARYNX.
    CONCLUSION: WE ARE CONCERNED BY THE RAPID CHANGES OCCURING IN THE DISC SPACE. THIS COULD REPRESENT AN INFECTIOUS PROCESS AND WE RECOMMEND A BONE GADOLINIUM SCAN.

Is there anybody who has had these kind of complications? or who could enlighten me as to what the mean by all this....

I hope to god it wont mean another surgery...
    Any advice would be appreciated....

Last edited by sterlingfrog; 10-03-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: need to get it noticed and hopefully get some insight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: ACDF complications 1yr post-op,freaking out!!!

Sterling,
    You need to get back in to see your surgeon as soon as you can. It appears that there is something going on with the graft from the surgery. I don't want to alarm you, but you do need to see your surgeon as quickly as possible.

Closed Thread