It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• How to tell if your fused -on x-ray

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    How to tell if your fused -on x-ray

Hello everyone. I see my neurosurgeon in a little over a week and will be hand carrying my x-rays from today -to see if my neck has fused yet (am almost 6 months now from my acdf). I have the x-rays and I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell if your fused -on x-ray. What do you look for? I'm just eager and anxious to know. I have the x-rays, but have to wait to see the doc, so it's kind of killing me having them and not knowing what they "say". I have x-rays from my surgery, too, so I have a 'comparison', but have no idea what to look for even then. Anyone know??
    Thanks,
    Meghan

Last edited by Wymom94; 10-08-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: How to tell if your fused -on x-ray

did they just do plain old c spine series x rays or an actual flexion and extension type x rays? you NEED the flex and ext x rays to really be able to tell the best way. i needed these done just to prove to my NS that i was NOT fused despite having an MRI that stated inconclusive and recommended a CT and the CT stating that i actually was when i knew i was not. the flex and ext movements are what will show whether or not the boney prominences in the back either stay together or fan out, that IS the best way to tell espescially with the c spine,it shows REALLY well there. plain x rays,it may be just as hard as with the CT. you just see one thing or you don't with the ext and flex. pretty simple really. what type of x rays did they do on you? marcia

Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Yes, I had to extend and flex my neck sideways and front and also open my mouth and do one 'regular'. I think it's 6 views. The boney prominences in the back, are those the part of the vertebrae that 'stick out', the things I had shaved down during surgery? Are they fanned out if you're fused or are you fused if they aren't fanned out? And, by 'fanned out', do you mean that they move position/spread apart more?
    Thanks so much for responding, marcia! I have a "p.s." to add to my question, too. When you had x-rays to check for fusion and had to move your neck far up and far down, did it bother you? The one thing that really bothers me a lot still is looking up, esp sustaining that. I didn't enjoy it and my neck was a bit sore the rest of the day (not too bad, but I definitely felt it and took meds for my neck, which is not common anymore). Even during the night it still bothered me -I woke up to use the bathroom twice during the night and 'walked diagonally' when trying to walk straight, which is something I rarely do anymore. It's not like that this morning anymore, but it still bugged me and I know it had to be b/c I held my head 'up' for the x-rays yesterday. Did you ever get anything like that when having x-rays or holding your head up (post-op)?
    -Meghan

Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Your doctor will be looking to see if there is more bone mass and more "connection" of the bone and plates/screws if they were used as well. So you'll have a hard time seeing it but the surgeon can tell the slightest improvement from xray to xray.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Darn, I was really hoping I could get a heads up by figuring out the x-ray somehow. But, thanks SpineAZ. At least I can stop staring at them now (lol). And, yes, I have hardware --I may not be a Superwoman; the woman of steel, but I'm one of the women of titanium (maybe that's like super mom???). I wish.
    My NS was expecting to find me fused and I know it's 'early', but he thinks it will be early. I'm hoping he's right on this and will know next Thursday.
    -Meghan

Closed Thread