It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• new pain after c5-c6 acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
    shaun472
    (female)

shaun472 HB User
    new pain after c5-c6 acdf

Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this: Its been 3wks. since my c5-c6 acdf and I`m alot of pain still in my neck and upper back that radiates accross the top of my shoulders. Its concentrated on the left, which is the side I had problems on before the surgery, but the pain symptoms are different than my pre-surgery symptoms. I have burning down the side of my neck into my shoulder blade and pain in my forearm and thumbs,also sharp pain in one particular spot in my spine. I`m so tired of being in pain and my Doc is a real jerk! I called to ask if this was normal and for pain meds and he responded by telling me "you know, you did have surgery and some pain is expected. Take some tylenol and you should be fine". Its not fine AT ALL!!!!! He doesn`t really believe in prescribing anything stronger than tylenol 3, I might as well take nothing. Then I was treated like a drug addict when I asked for something for pain. I`m so frustrated!!! Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User
    Re: new pain after c5-c6 acdf

You poor thing! I can't even imagine going thru my acdf 5-6 and not having something strong like vicodin. My doc prescribed vicodin and I even got a few refills. I really feel for you, you must be miserable. i experienced new pain like you describe. I was told the burning pain is nerve pain. Apparently when you have acdf they move your nerves or something like that to get to the disc that is injured. The pain is your nerves going back to normal. I can't remember exactly what the doc said to me about it cause it's been 2 years since my surgery. Maybe someone else has a better memory and can explain it better, but hopefully you get what I mean. Not to rain on your parade but I still have the nerve pain 2 years later. Do your stretches when the doc says to-that helps alot. Good Luck P

Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
    rodney50
    (male)

rodney50 HB User
    Re: new pain after c5-c6 acdf

I too had c5-c6 acdf done in may of 2008. Right after the surgury I really felt great. My doctor prescribed physical therapy which I did fora couple of months. Then the pain came back into my shoulders radiating into my arms, hands & fingers. Now after taking another ct scan myleogram my doctor is saying the disc above it is showing nerve compression, and is saying I need more surgury. More specifically, a posterior cervical surgury. On top of that I am still numb on the side of my neck going up into my face(same side of my incision from acdf)
    So I can relate to the new pain

Closed Thread