It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Is this muscular or related to spine-neck, thoracic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Is this muscular or related to spine-neck, thoracic?

I have a question, if anyone can help. I am seeing an Orthopedist next week and can ask him as well, but thought I'd try ya'll first. I had my C5-6 acdf 6 months ago, am fused and decompressed, and doing pretty good with my neck recovery. However, I went mini golfing with hubby, son, and son's friend & his family last weekend and since then have been having constant pain, stiffness, and problems with my upper back, L shoulder and the lower part of my neck. I have mini golfed once before w/o any problems afterward, but am left to assume the golfing was the impetus for how I'm feeling now. I don't golf 'normal' b/c of my neck and back problems and am very mindful of my posture, not bending, twisting, etc when putting (b/c of this, btw, I seriously suck and got like a 66 for score in mini-golf). I bend at the knees to lower myself enough for my club to touch the ground without having to bend forward at the waist and I do not lean forward to putt, just swing my club while erect (it's funny looking, but kept me from having any problems afterward the first time I went). I thought it was muscular, just sore, strained muscles and it may be, but it's lasted 5 days and only worsened, not lessened. I've taken pain meds, muscle relaxants, anti-inflamms, used ice & heat, rested & done PT exercises trying to help. Nothing is improving it. It is sharp, like a piercing pain between my shoulder blades and a bit above and below-- and makes moving my upper back difficult (esp when driving, to turn and look). For comparison sake, my son also had problems after golfing. He has problems with his feet, not his spine like I do, but he had pain and trouble afterward in his feet, like I did with my upper back and lower neck. He was better 2 days ago, though and I'm worse off now 5 days after the fact. Any thoughts on if it is just muscle problems b/c of the golf, taking a long time to work out, or what??
    Thanks for any responses,
    Meghan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: Is this muscular or related to spine-neck, thoracic?

My appt with my Orthopedist was changed due to surgery he had to perform that day. I don't see him 'til next Monday, but have worsened and am miserable. I've tried to get in earlier and have called my neurologist as well, but cannot get in to see either one. My stiffness and pain became sharp, piercing pain (like a knife blade) and fierce burning. It moved up to 8,9,and even 10 and has left me in tears at one point (in public, unfortunately). I'm back to taking meds constantly rather than just once a day as I had been prior --and they don't take the pain away, only cut it down a bit. I'm resting with ice a lot, but am really miserable and don't understand what's going on. I'm inclined to believe it is NOT muscular at this point and not even related to the mini golf. I did have to brake fast a week ago to avoid a squirrel and was thrust forward and back, so maybe that worsened things, I don't know. It's frustrating that I can't get in to see either doc and I would love it if anyone could suggest what the pain locale and type might be (between my shoulder blades up to the 'ball' at the base of my neck -and down my arms, too). The burning is severe, more severe than any burning pain I've had before and I've never felt this sharp, piercing, stabbing before -hate it. The pain and numbness in my arms, that I'm use to.
    Meghan

Last edited by Wymom94; 10-28-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

Oh goodness, I hope you can wait it out until Monday. Being in this much pain is absolutely horrible.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Meg, Oh my you have alot of the same as I am right now. Although I was just told today that more then likely its coming from my C5-6 which I will be having an ACDF done in dec.
    I have alot of shoulder upper back & neck, just for starters. I do know I have bad spasms & I am wondering if you could be having the same. I hope nothing occured in that area again for you.
    I know its pain that nothing really works on & feels like my upper back is in a vice or just a ton of pressure. My left arm hurts all the time, mostly the shoulder. Very much like you are talking about & 2 narcotics & MRs still leave me with pain, even with motrin. The most relief I get is ice but only while the ice is on. I am really curious to see what your doctor says. Be careful & take it really easy till you see him/her. Good luck, Sammy

Closed Thread