It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Do they do surgery just to remove bone spurs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Do they do surgery just to remove bone spurs?

I have DDD of the neck and lots bone spurs. I have pulsating headaches, and crackles in my neck. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Do they do surgery just to remove bone spurs?

They'd have to look at the whole picture - and see if it's just the bone spurs or if there are any other accompanying problems that need to be addressed. Have you seen a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Spine Surgeon?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User

Hi, I had surgery 7 weeks ago, just to remove a large bone spur. I have been in agonising pain from it off and on for 8 months, and nothing was going to make that thing settle down or go away. I was desperate.
    However the surgeon put me through a whole battery of tests before surgery to really pin point the bone spur as the sole cause of my pain, before he operated. They not only removed the bone spur, but then fused the joints and added hardware to stabilise it all.
    So far I'm happy with the results, but then I was very miserable before the surgery, so anything would feel better than that.
    Cheers Lily

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Yes, they do. The thing you have to look out for is that they don't remove to much of the bone causing the vertebrae to become unstable. I had this done on my lumbar area and they ended up having to go back in and do a fusion because it then became unstable. (Of course, just my luck!).

Good luck!

Closed Thread