It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Severe upper back pain in AM only. Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
    lisam1972
    (female)

lisam1972 HB User
    Severe upper back pain in AM only. Help?

Hello, my name is Lisa. For 1 week now, I have been experiencing severe upper back pain every mornings. This pain cripples me for about 1 -2 hours, but will go away and I am able to continue with my day without any signs of pain. The hospital had taken an ekg, blood work to check for clotting, and a chest xray. They are unsure and said that it could be Pleurisy, then sent me home with an anti-inflammatory medication.

I have no symptoms of Pleurisy and the pain is getting worse by the day. I tried to sleep sitting up for a couple of days, but this does no good.

My mother informs me that she has been experiencing the same symptoms since Aug. 2008. She tells me that after many diagnostics, no doctor can tell her what is wrong. Is this just a coincidense or is this contagious?

I don't want to sleep anymore, because I know that the pain will be there in the morning. I tell everyone that I would rather give birth everyday without any pain medication, then to experience this.

If anyone has experienced this, or knows of someone who has, please let me know something. I don't want to continue to be a mystery. Thank you.

Last edited by Mod08; 10-27-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Your post has been moved to the correct board. Upper back problems issues belong in the spinal cord disorders message board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
    lilydilly
    (female)

lilydilly HB User
    Re: Severe upper back pain in AM only. Help?

I did go through a period of severe upper back pain for several months. I had heart tests for it, but all was well. It was worse through the night and in the morning. I was convinced it was related to my oesophegus and it certainly was connected to me getting reflux, or vice versa.
    I went to Dr's and massage and chiro all to no effect. I tried every sleeping position known to man.
    I used to feel like I'd woken up totally "crooked", and one morning, in desperation I said to my husband, "I wish someone could just pull me straight to get rid of this pain", and I asked him to pick me up under the arms and give me a "jerk". I wouldn't recommend this under normal circumstances, but like I said, I was so desperate I figured I couldn't do any more harm.
    Well, something in my upper back went, "THUNK", so strongly that even my husband felt it from where he was holding me against his own chest. It shocked us both. But 3 days later my pain was gone and hasn't been back in 3 years.!?
    I can relate to how painful this is and how miserable it can make you feel. Looking back, I believe mine was brought on by washing windows...tight muscles pulling something totally out of whack.
    Later on, I was talking to a massage therapist, and she said that over and over again, she and her colleagues find themselves treating the same symptoms in the same month. She said they'll get a whole run of people with shoulder pain, and then that'll go, and another time, all their patients are coming in with neck pain. She said they are convinced that there is some sort of virus or bug that goes around at times, and effects people where their bodies are weakest or tired or strained in some way.
    This probably hasn't been much use to you, but it might explain why you and your mum have similar problems. Also I know that I started getting all sorts of muscle and joint pains and episodes when I started hitting menopause.
    Hope you find some relief soon,
    Regards from Lily

Closed Thread