It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What Happens when you have Spinal Myelopathy? Is it Fatal? PLease Answer~

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User
    What Happens when you have Spinal Myelopathy? Is it Fatal? PLease Answer~

My Dr is testing me with an MRI & I have no clue what this may mean for my future?
    I am 38 years old.

Please let me know.
    THX

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: What Happens when you have Spinal Myelopathy? Is it Fatal? PLease Answer~

just exactly how did your doc determine you actually have myelopathy at this point without the MRI even being done yet? what types of testing did he do on you(the hands on type tests too) that led him to this? what symptoms are you currently displaying? just what type of doc are you seeing who gave you this Dx?

something would be having to actually be impacting or affecting your spinal cord in order for the myelopathy to be there. whatever will show up on that MRI will help in knowing just what that affectation is and where it is. that will kind of dictate what will come next.

and no,it is not fatal. there can be many many different things going on in anyones spine that can be affecting their cords. finding out just what your affectation actually is is what just needs to be done right now,and the MRI,hopefully with contrast,will help define that better. if you could answer the questions i asked and when you get that MRI done,make certain to obtain your OWN copy of that report. you can request this right thru the place you are having it done or get one from your ordering doc,but you do need one for yourself for your records. then if you can,please just type that summary at the very end of that report here for me and others to look at? the way the interpretting rad reads your films and how he or she defines things word for word really helps in seeing whats going on much better. hopefully whatever is affecting your cord can be reversed or fixed. please let me know what you find out,K? good luck,marcia

Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
    tricia906
    (female)

tricia906 HB User

Hi Marcia,

Thx for replying. That is generous! The dr didnt say I had Spinal Myelopathy. He is testing me for it. My knee reflexes are very strong & he wanted to rule this out, I suppose.

I just typed it in googl & saw a lot of scary things. Surgeries, paralization, ect & got very worried!

I should get the report today.
    Thx for your help!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

I had surgery in April on my neck. My official and specific dx was 'cervical spondylitic myelopathy'. I had my surgery when I was 38 and am 39 now. I'm very much alive and not paralyzed. I'd just wait for your MRI results and go from there. Until you know what's going on in your neck and to what degree, it's hard to pinpoint what you are specifically at risk for. I can tell you, though, that there ARE treatments to avoid the risks even if they are quite serious.
    I wish you well with your results -and with the problems you are experiencing that led to your MRI. When you find out what's going on, please post.
    -Meghan

Last edited by Administrator; 08-04-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

that would make sense. hyper reflexes are an indication of something going on at the cord level. it is one of the signs,so he was very right to send you for that MRI. was there any mention of the word 'clonus"? are there any other symptoms you are experiencing right now? any actual pain anywhere? what actually prompted you to see the doc and have him do that neuro check on you? marcia

Closed Thread