It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone ever chicken out before surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
    Pam454
    (female)

Pam454 HB User
    Anyone ever chicken out before surgery?

I'm scheduled for my anterior cervical corpectomy with fusion (c5-6, c6-7) on the 11th. I woke up at 6 am feeling rested and no pain. I woke up thinking I don't need the surgery afterall. I know I'm just having a good day with few symptoms, which doesn't happen often at all. I have felt secure and comfortable with my decision for weeks. Now as the date approaches I'm getting scared and questioning whether I'm making the right decision. I know I need the surgery and I won't get better without it, but how do you stop questioning your decision? This sounds crazy, but I am purposely doing more than usual around the house today (not that I have been able to do much). I figure if I hurt later I will remember why I need the surgery. Why can't I just be happy with the fact that I'm being graced with day that I'm pain free.

Anyone else ever have these doubts?

Pamela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
    rc1975
    Veteran
    (male)

rc1975 HB User
    Re: Anyone ever chicken out before surgery?

pam,
    i just had the exact same surgery on thursday. both discs replaced. went home the same day. neck is a little sore my throat hurts the worse from the breathing tube and i have a low grade fever, but the surgery went very well, i have noticed the tingling in my arm is gone already. i was nervous too but it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. best of luck to u

Old 11-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
    Pam454
    (female)

Pam454 HB User

Thank you for the reply and glad to hear it went well. I did get what I wished for in form of a killer migraine, which I have only developed since the herniations. I'm still a little freaked but realize I do need it. Did you also have a Harms Cage inserted? I'd be interested in hearing how you progress. Thank you again for the reply, I hope I'm out of the hospital just as quick.

Pamela

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
    rc1975
    Veteran
    (male)

rc1975 HB User

whats harms cage?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
    Pam454
    (female)

Pam454 HB User

Harms cage is a titanium cage that they are inserting in place of my two discs and vertabrae. Somehow the doc uses pieces of my removed vertabrae in the cage like a bone graft. My insurance won't pay for artificial discs or bone grafting, so that is my only option.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I know with my neck, I had both good days and bad days. Like you there were some days that I didn't even feel like I needed surgery. However, the pain and other symptons would reemerge. If you are feeling no pain consistently, you may want to have you Doctor do another MRI or CT Scan, maybe there has been some healing going on you're not even aware of - miricles do happen. I would just get prove that everything is healed and the surgery isn't necessary, before cancelling the surgery.

You're in my thoughts

~ Fiona

Old 11-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
    SCUBAMIKE
    (male)

SCUBAMIKE HB User

Pamela,

I have been asking myself this same question for the last three weeks. I feel great right now. I do not have any pain at all. I do get pins and needles in my fingers and around my collar bone. Over the past several years my pattern has been feel great most of the time and have trouble with my neck. I never had numbness untill the last three months. The last two flair ups were horrible. With one of them putting me out of work and no exercising at all. As the NS treated me with the meds, and time went by the pain went away and I have been able to begin exercising again. So I begin to think all is well and maye I should not do the surgery.

There are a couple things that have kept me from calling it off. One I have never heard of a NS wanting to do surgery just to do it. Most of the NS I have read about are pretty conservative. The second is I have pins and needles felling in my fingers almost all the time. Sometimes worse than others. I also get the pins and needles feeling around my collar bone and front shoulder.

My wife thinks I should go ahead with the surgery on the 19th. She says it is very plain to her that my periods of pain are getting worse and closer together. She believes that it is in my best interest to get this fixed before I end up with nerve damage that will not heal.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
    Pam454
    (female)

Pam454 HB User

Mike,

I can totally relate. My flareups have gotten worse also. When I haven't been at work (4 hours or less a day), I am bed ridden. Ice packs have become my best friend. I freak out the minute my head starts to hurt afraid that a migraine is on it's way. Pain pills no longer do the trick and I am simply fed up with the numbness, pain and tingling in the arm. It is impossible for me to look up at anything like a normal person does when checking out a light fixture or such. My arm immediately has pain shooting down it like razor blades.

My husband has said the same thing, and now is the time I have the insurance and an employer and colleagues that are absolutely wonderful and caring for my situation.

I'll let you know when I get home how I feel. :-) So excited to be painfree soon.

Pamela

Closed Thread