It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Letter From Neurosurg To Thyroid Doc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
    Letter From Neurosurg To Thyroid Doc

Hi all! I actually got a letter from neuro to my endo and I am going to post some of what he wrote. I will tell you it is much worse than the little he explained to me.
    Be pt here goes:
    He notes spindly fingers with right index finger and hand thickened. He goes over reflexes and notes decreased bicep reflex and no brachial radialis reflex. ( Don't know if this is positive or not). Negative Babinski's test but positive Romberg's for balance.
    The Mri shows she has cervical spinal stenosis at c5-6. Does not appear to have cord compression. However it is very close to that. She has some disc disease and disc protrus on c6-7with a cyst coming off of her nerve on the left side at her c-7 root. It is hard to see bony erosion on this mri. In the report it is reported it could be a cynovial cyst.
    My impresssion is, the pt has DDD in her neck with spinal stenosis which is significant. I think if she did not have ongoing thyroid problems I would suggest that she have immediate surgery.
    I am not certain it is a synovial cyst at c6-7, I think it is more consistant with an arachnoid or a nuerofibroma.
    I have sent her mri to a university for an opinion regarding her cyst. If it is a tumors he should have surgery now. If it is a cyst than we need to get her thyroid under control first.

That is the jist of it.
    None of my docs have mentioned the word stenosis. Or arachnoid cyst. So I still have some researching to do. That is all I know until he gets the review of my films back.
    I will keep you posted. But like many of you have symptoms of leg pain, shoulder pain that sometimes crushes all around my chest like a circle. shoulder pain, muscle twitching, dizziness ect ect. Memory ect.
    Just keep looking for an answer.
    ANY input is always a good thing!
    Thanks,
    Deena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User
    Re: Letter From Neurosurg To Thyroid Doc

Bump. Anyone know what might happen at this point. Maybe with cervical spinal stenosis. What kind of surgery can I expect and how long in hospital????? Thank you,
    Deena

Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Deena,

I can say with lumbar stenosis that they removed my stenosis by performing a laminectomy - removing the bone which decompressed the nerve. I pretty much recuperated in 6 weeks. However, I must warn you that it is major surgery and I highly recommend that you be extremely careful about lifting and bending afterwards for up to 6 months. The spine carries and supports the majority of our body and needs time to heal adequately. I would consider it an investment in your future. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
    Pepper

Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
    matt3507
    (male)

matt3507 HB User

Hi Deena:
    I don't have any advice on your surgery, but how many surgeons have you talked to? 2 would be good, 3 better. I had 2 very different opinions. You are in my thoughts, keep posting.
    Blessings to you, Matt

Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
    MOMOFBOYZ
    Veteran
    (female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Hi guys, Thanks for your input as always. I have actually only seen 2 surgeons regarding my neck. But in this letter from him to my endo he states very plainly that if I did not have Hashi's out of control he would recommend immediate surgery. And also the stensois is significant. Also scarey that he says it is not compressing on the spinal cord but very close to that. What happens when it does?? Paralysis??? I better look that one up.
    Also, do you guys ever feel like it is hard to swollow or a fullness in your anterior neck due to the cervical spine probs??? It is hard for me b/c I have a thyoid with multiple nodlues making a a goiter. Monday I see that endo again to see what to do about my thyroid. My nuerosurgeon wants it taken care of before the surgery.
    Thanks for any and all comments. I feel so alone sometimes that is why I get on the boards. To seek info but just to touch base with other people in my place.

Thanks again.
    Deena

Closed Thread