It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Things to keep occupied with after ACDF surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Things to keep occupied with after ACDF surgery

Hello everyone, I am hoping you can help me out. I am wondering what I can do to keep myself occupied after fusion on C5-6. I am not the kind to sit idle for long & am hoping you all can make some suggestions. After shoulder surgery I went abit crazy looking for things to do one handed. I even did some water color painting one handed,lol. I thought this time I would ask those of you who have went through this type of surgery. I believe there may be others that can get some help from this post to. Any other suggestions for anything else would be great to. Should be getting the surgery date today & am alittle nervous. Should be between dec,1-31.
    I would like to have it after the holidays but my family is insisting I get it over with due to pain & symptoms esculating. So we will see what dates they have.
    Thanks in advance & I hope this helps others out to. God bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
    Shemachinist
    (female)

Shemachinist HB User
    Re: Things to keep occupied with after ACDF surgery

My husband went out and we bought a Playstation 3. We bought Lego Indiana Jones. Easy game, but took hours to play. Kept me entertained because I could play it laying in my recliner. Reading fo rme didn't work (although I LOVE reading) because it hurt to hold the book in the right place to see it well. So I played video games, and it was great! Helped me out quite a bit.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Here are a couple of ideas:

*Use this time to become closer with your children by playing board games.
    *Having long conversations with your children. Maybe invite a couple of their friends over, order in pizza, then string popcorn and cranberries for the birds together. You would be amazed at how many children/teenagers have never done this and enjoy it. You could even buy beads to make jewelry. This allows you to connect with your children and their friends.
    *Ipod music for during the night when you can't sleep.
    *Joined netflix - they have online movies you can watch 24/7 from your pc. Love it for those restless nights.
    *Laptop pc games - scrabble was my best friend.
    *Posting on Healthboards. (It is looking like we may be recovering together.)
    *Brought all my birthday cards/anniversary cards for the next year and wrote out all the envelopes and signed the cards so that all I had to do was write a small note in it when it was time to mail it. I sorted and filed these by birthday month.
    *Time to get caught up on hand sewing.
    *I also did menu planning for six months. I wrote up grocery lists and attached it to the month so you would grab it at the beginning of the month and buy all the ingredients.
    *I also made up a computerized sheet of all the items I buy at the grocery store, costco, and walmart. I cut these up into strips/entire sheets so that all I had to do was check off needed items as we ran low. I know I am very organized.
    *Looked online for activity ideas and planned small trips thruout the year with the children. We often get involved in everyday life and forget to take the time to get away with our children and enjoy them. They will be gone before you know it. Plan that fishing trip, cabin vacation, or beach house vacation.
    *Build a budget/savings goal for the entire year in spreadsheet form. Discuss it with hubby.
    *Good time to start sorting your files/setting up files. I had hubby bring me a large stack each day so that I could get caught up, sort thru, shred receipts, etc.

My biggest advice is to make sure you have bed in the family room for a few weeks so that you can be part of the family and their every day activities instead of being locked up in your bedroom. This has been so helpful to me even after surgery with my chronic pain. It allows me to lay down and still have family and close friends over. I can lay down and we can talk/socialize together.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

You are getting a lot of good inputs from others. Let me share my experience.

I've had two ACDFs a year apart, and the first few days post-op was quite different. The second one was by far the easier of the two, and I could do things (watch TV, read, go for a walk, etc).

The first one was a different story - I was in extreme pain and was very 'agitated' - looking back on it I should have been in the hospital a second day before going home. I only mention this to help you be prepared for whatever your experience turns out to be - if you have someone who can just be with you, to not be alone and to have someone to help reassure you - is a very good thing to be prepared for. Things got 'better' pretty quickly, but those first 48 hours after returning home were hard.

You WILL get through this ordeal - and you are so wise to be prepared beforehand! Best wishes for a good outcome

Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Bless you all, I have not had much time to post, busy but now I have my date (dec,26) & want to get everything ready.
    I chose that because I care for a couple who I dont want alone for christmas, & this gives me time to prepare & everyone is so busy this time of the year I did not want to burden anyone before christmas.

So time to get it together here.
    I like to do water colors & my daughters have an easel I can put on a table, what do you all think? Could it be possable?
    Good suggestions, we have Play station 2 maybe I will ask santa for a game,lol. Never had time to even attempt much on video games but hey I'll give it a shot.
    This will be a double whammy do to my ADHD I am always doing something. Cant help it. My family has already warned me to cool it & have plans to send me else where if I dont. I am determined to behave after hearing what could happen from the surgeon but will have to keep myself occupied.
    I am a reader but that may be hard. I will grab some puzzle books & maybe some water colors to. I dont have a laptop, will it be impossable to use the desk top? I could rent one, or perhaps our friend would let me use his, he is staying with us for now. It is so nice to be able to come here & be able to somewhat prepare in advance. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate all you advice. God bless you all, Sammy

Closed Thread