It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sub Acute Degeneration of Spinal Cord and Low B12

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
    Sub Acute Degeneration of Spinal Cord and Low B12

hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone on this board hs been diagnosed with sub acute degeneration of the spinal chord and a low B12 deficiency.I have read that these two can be related.

I usually post on the brain and nervous system board,but am hoping someone here can give me a bit of information about this.

Currently I have been getting B12 injections monthly since Feb.'07 and before that I went 5 years without the B12 shots and endd up in the same worse shape...before that I was getting B12 shots for just over a year.

I have been tested and I do have intrinsic factor so there's no problem with me absorbing the B12.

Thanks Much

Scout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
    Re: Sub Acute Degeneration of Spinal Cord and Low B12

Hello. How low is your B12? please let me know.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hi nochange

here's my history of B12 level:in March 2000 my B12 was 279(normal range is 200-1100) so my hematologist did an MMA(methylmalonic acid test)and it was 415(normal range is 90-279)which pointed to an occult(hidden)B12 deficiency.I had the Schilling test and it showed I did have intrinsic factor and absorbed the B12 fine.So my dr. said it was probably from my diet.

Then I had B12 shots for over a year and it was suggested I get 3-4 shots a year.Well due to lack of health insurance back then I went 5 years without shots and all the symptoms came back.It takes 3-5 years to become deficient again....my dr. warned me about that!

So this time around my B12 kept dropping....it was 374 in Sept.'05...then 255 in July '06...then 222 in Sept.'06...(my previous hematologist retired so I was having trouble getting adr. to dx my hidden B12 deficiency,because they kept saying my B12 was "in range"...LOL!

Finally I saw a university neurologist who dx my B12 deficiency...he said when you have sub acute degeneration of the spinal cord it can cause a "complicated B12 deficiency".

So I have been getting monthly B12 shots since Feb.'07....my B12 was 274 in March '07 and they check it every 4 months....it mostly stayed around 300 all these months,but my level improved this time and it's at 420 right now.

Do you have spinal cord degeneration?I'm interested in knowing,because I don't know anyone else who has spinal problems that causes complications with their B12.

Please post back~hope this helps you in some way.

Scout

Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello Scout, sory for the late reply. I don't know if I have sub acute degeneration of spinal cord. I've done an mri and waiting for results.
    I have B12 more or less like yours it's really low though it's on the range.
    How did they find out you have sub acute degenration of your spinal cord and do you suffer from pain?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi nochange

If your B12 level is even low normal you might have sub acute degen. of spinal cord.The MRI might show high intensity increased signals....which can be reversed with B12 therapy.

Drs. often don't look for B12 deficiency and like I said before if your B12 is low normal then please press your dr. to do the MMA,Folic Acid and Homocysteine tests,because these tests can diagnos a hidden B12 deficiency.

Yes I had severe back pain,but it has improved immensely from the B12 injections.

Please post back and let me know how your MRI comes out~wishing you well~

Scout~

Closed Thread