It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI Cervical results help understanding

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User
    MRI Cervical results help understanding

Hi there!

Can someone let me know what this means please? I have lots of neck pain that goes down my entire right arm, sometimes tingling sometimes not. I also have lower back pain, headaches nausea and dizziness. Forget things I enjoy doing like jogging, lifting weights or even walking for very long. It has been going on for a while. I was treated by two chiro's. One included deep tissue massage another neck traction. (Traction really made my symptoms bad.)

Okay- here we go

C2-3 seems okay

C3-4 A slight posterior broad based annular disc bulge w/o protrusion or stenosis

C4-5 Slight disc space narrowing and mild posterior broad based annular disc bulge is noted w/o protrusion or central canal stenosis. There is mild left sided neural foraminal encroachment noted secondary to left uncovertebral joint hypertrophic degenerative changes

C5-6 Disc space narrowing and mild posterior broad based annular disc bulge is noted . Mild central canal stenosis w/o cord indentation or forminal narrowing.

C6-7 Slightly more prominent posterior right sided broad based disc bulge with small disc protrusion component is noted. Some moderate central canal stenosis is noted w/ right mild lateral recess stnosis. Mild right neural forminal encroachment is noted. No cord indentation.

C7-T1 No disc or stenosis or protrusion.

Mild spondylosis is noted with disc space narrowing and mild posterior broad based annular disc bulges at C3-4 C4-5 and C5-6. Mild central canal stenosis at C5-6.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: MRI Cervical results help understanding

Sounds like you have several bulging discs that are causing compression on the spinal cord.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User

Is that serious? Will any permanent damage be done? Does it go away by itself? Does it get worse?

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your input.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i didn't see anything in that report that spoke of ANY actual cord involvement,it was all w/o,unless i missed something? just curious when this MRI was actually done on you,BEFORE you had traction or after? marcia

Old 11-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User

Hi again,

In Aug. I had an x-ray that said alignment and curvature are normal. Disc spaces well preserved. Moderate change anteriorly in C5.

The MRI is from this month- November.

In addition to the MRI report-

The impression was :

Posterior right broad based disc protrusion noted at C6-7 level. Moderate cental canal stenosis and right lateral recess stenosis w/o cord indentation.

Mild spondylosis is noted with disc space narrowing and mild posterior broad based annular disc bulges at the C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 levels. Mild central canal stenosis is noted at C5-6 level.

(I don't understand why the impression says mild spondylosis but the report says none-what's the difference there?)

The laser clinic says I need a foraminotomy and a laminotomy.

I also have low back pain that hasn't been discussed much.

This has been going on for years as an on off thing. In the last year or so it doesn't seem to go away with rest etc. etc.

The Chiropractors were April -July. The pain, numbness and tingling was really wicked after traction. I was told it would get worse before it got better. ????

The chiropractors said I had sublaxation, a military neck (no curve), uneven pelvis, increased lumbar curve, reversed curve right shift, thoracic has increased curve and right shift flexion etc. etc.

HELP!!!!

I see the surgeon tomorrow.

I will let you know what he says.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User

Okay to get right to the point...

Dr. suggests surgery for C-7. He replaces disc with cadaver.

Please tell me more about this procedure and your experiences?

Thank you!!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

what are your symptoms? I wish my MRI was as good as yours. I would hesitate to rush into surgery unless you had significant weakness in one arm. Get another opinion before you do anything, this type of surgery does have problems that may not become evident for several years.

Good luck,
    W

Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User

Hi, thank you for responding!!

I look forward to hearing from as many people as possible.

I have had problems for years with neck, shoulder, headaches and arm pain. Good days and bad days. Over the years the frequency, pain and the activity that brings it on have all gotten more frequent and intense.

The last year or so I have arm pain- upper and foreman, numbess, weakness, neck pain, dizziness, headaches and now my posture is all out of wack for favoring one side so to speak.

I have tried rest, therapy, deep tissue massage, traction (surgeon said that probably made it worse, it hurt really bad that for sure) and I cannot take anti-inflamatories.

My lower back hurts too. He said we need to take care of this first. Is there any chance the pain in my back would be relieved after surgery?

Both the surgeon and laser spine institute said surgery.

Here is the part of the report that show the problem area...

Mild spondylosis is noted with disc space narrowing and mild posterior broad based annular disc bulges at the C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6 levels. Mild central canal stenosis is noted at C5-6 level.

C6-7 Slightly more prominent posterior right sided broad based disc bulge with small disc protrusion component is noted. Some moderate central canal stenosis is noted w/ right mild lateral recess stenosis. Mild right neural forminal encroachment is noted. No cord indentation.

Posterior right broad based disc protrusion noted at C6-7 level. Moderate central canal stenosis and right lateral recess stenosis w/o cord indentation.

Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
    wimpette
    (female)

wimpette HB User

Your surgeon seems to recommend one level only although you have disease at several levels. There is a chance you may end up needing more surgery as the fused level puts more stress on the less diseased one. I had a two level anterior fusion - one level was bad but the other was sufficiently advanced that not doing it would have meant another operation.
    The surgery itself is really very straightforward and I felt better very soon afterwards. The pain before was far worse than any surgery.

Good luck

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
    rg3083
    (female)

rg3083 HB User

I am working on a second opinion from an Orthopedic surgeon.

I'll post when I get that opinion also

What were your symptoms and MRI like?

Closed Thread