It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Please describe what type of headache you have

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Please describe what type of headache you have

Hey all,
    I have been having the worst headaches. I went into the dentist for a rootcanal & cleaning. I thought that I had another tooth that was causing me problems do to facial pain & awful headaches. Ended up that the other teeth were fine but my sinus cavity has kind of fallen into the root area of my upper teeth. The dentist asked if I have ever had anything like this show before on an xray, & I replied no, she stated maybe the sinus area was really inflammed. Yet I have really not had alot of problems with my sinuses.

I am having the worst headaches, one sided like I migraine. Worse when laying down & goes into the eye, jaw & teeth area, ear, even down deep in my throat, sharp intense pain going right into my left temple, down the back of my head to the base of my neck.
    I was wondering if anyone else has anything like this & if the herniated discs could be causing any of this. The pain is awful & this is occuring more & more.
    I was wondering if the cervical could cause this type of headache or could it interfer with sinuses. This is strange. For any of you that suffer headaches could you describe the headache for me please. I appreciate any responses.
    Thanks & god bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
    33george
    (male)

33george HB User
    Re: Please describe what type of headache you have

Sammy, I had started having headaches real severe last year. Docs kept telling me it was probably due to cervical problems as I had a fusion years ago and MRI shows canal is narrowing pressing on nerves. However, as the headaches got worst and more frequent I continued to look for answers. ENT did a CT on my sinuses and found I had a severe infection. Treatment with three drugs for three weeks have done wonders. Latest CT showed it was nearly cleared and headaches have gone. Oh, I still have a pain if I move my neck too quickly which can still cause a headache, but nothing like I was having previously. Don't know if this will help you but thought you would like to hear something.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy....when my neck flares up now and then (bad disc's), I get a very intense pain that shoots up into my skull. Not like pain in the whole area in the back of my head.....just like a prominent pain that feels like a shooting pain in one area...mostly the left side. I also feel like the glands in the back of my ears are very sensitive. I now know this is all caused by my deteriating disc's in my neck..although it took lots of visits to the doctor last year to find this out.

But, with you having problems with your teeth, it is so hard to tell what is causing your headaches. Could be a combination of both problems...your neck and your teeth. But, since you got the tooth taken care of, I hope the headaches diminish. If not, then I would think it might be from your neck. I do know when my hubby has sinus trouble, his teeth and ears both hurt.

Hope you will feel better in the next few days. Hang in there, and get ready for your surgery. Hopefully after that, you will feel so much better all around. I'm praying for you!

Judy

Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks, I am pretty sure after last night my neck is a huge part of whats causing these headaches. I had sudden pain go up my neck & with seconds I had one of the worst headaches. I swear I could not hardly talk. Laid there & cried myself to sleep. It hurt everything on the left side, & yes behind the ear. The strange part is hurts deep in the throat & feels like my jaw is broke.
    I am scared of this pain. I could feel almost like a burning pain around the eye & every now & then it felt like it would go into the left side.
    So much like a migraine that maybe it is some type of migraine. I thought I would end up in ER but fell asleep. I dont want to really turn my head at all this morning afraid of triggering it off. It may indeed be a combo but I am really wondering what can those hernitated discs cause in there? I am starting to believe everything. I am praying it gets better as the day goes on but out of everything I have went through with these discs this is the worst.

What has helped you all that have suffered any headaches like this, anything?
    My meds dont cut if & I am using ice & hotpacks both. I feel for anyone having to go through this. God bless & please let me know if anything helped.
    Sammy

Old 12-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI here sammy as i did answer your other post and am out of time right now. but remember how i told you that some cranials do run down from the head and into the c spine area then back up again. well one of them is that trigeminal nerve which would kind of correlate with where your actual pain is right now. look up some info on the tri and see just where it runs and where your pain actually is. this could be the bigger reason for that facial pain crap and the side too. it does run to behind and above the ear(is this just on one side?). mine is also affected and i also have pain where you described too. like i said,just an FYI. bye sweetie,Marcia

Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

I get migraines and they do start from the back of my neck. I take maxalt during a migraine attack and it helps wonders. I went online and I heard a lot about Magnesium supplements helping with these horrible headaches. They are used as a preventaive. I tell you, after 2 weeks of taking this supplement two times a day with a full meal has cut these horrible migraines back immensely! I can not believe how well it works! I don't have to worry about rebound headaches from taking too much Maxalt. I went from getting a full blown migraine every other day to getting one migraine every 1-2 weeks. I also love the fact that it is a mineral and not a harsh drug. It also has helped with my sinus problem too.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks gang, I ended up in ER last evening. NO way could I get the pain under control. I am scared of this pain & I can always feel it lingering. Believe or not ER was great, gave me what I needed to get rid of the dang headeache for at least over night. I can hanldle pain but this is to much. Hurt to even swallow on the left side, felt as though my head would explode & the face & neck on the left side were to sensitive to even touch. I actually screamed in pain, thats not me at all. I could not help it. This is very much like a migraine. May even be. I could feel it once again start up the back/side of my neck.
    Yes Marcia I will look that up. I could try the magnesium but I am not sure how to combat these headaches & I cant take the pain. They are popping up in the later evening for the past 2 nights & the left side pain lingers all day. Nothing budges these headaches & this scares me. My BP was dropping so they could only give me so much in ER. I just dont know anymore, are these caused from my discs, sinuses, combo of both? What a mess.
    I will look some things up here. Thanks & god bless for being here for me. Sammy
    PS ER gave me the steroid pack, have to call the surgeon to see if I can take it this close to surgery.

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-18-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Even though I had a preexisting issue with migraines, I'm convinced that the migraines I often experience are related to my neck, because I can always tell when they're going to hit. It starts with a pain at the base of my neck (and severe tightening in my neck) and the pain spreads from my neck to the back of my head TOWARDS the front. I never experienced migraines like this before, prior to the issues with my neck, the pain started in the front of my head.

Of course I still get they typical migraine symptoms - severe nausea, aura, visual disturbances and pain so bad that about all I can do is lay in my bed until it passes (of course I also take Zomig which really does help speed up relief). I have also found that applying ice to my neck helps as well.

I definitely see a link between headaches and neck issues.

I hope you get answers and relief soon.

~ Fiona Jo ~

Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona, I have had migraines in the past for years & then they stopped.
    This headache is so like a migraine that perhaps the cervical is bringing this on but in another way. It starts at the neck or base of the head & with in minutes is a full blown headache. I called my sister today who had them in the past & ended up with the cervical surgery but hers was the first 2 discs. She did tell me hers caused the same kind of pain as I am experiancing with the jaw, ear, teeth up to the eye & temple. I was pretty worried that perhaps something else was wrong & I would go through this surgery then discover there are other problems. As this is different then the other headaches I have had with me neck. Those went up the back of the head & were just as painful to a point but did not effect my jaw & teeth so much. It confused me since I was just at the dentist & had a root canal done I thought it was something else like my TMJ. My sister said everything hurt on her, much like mine. They put me on steroids & have me wearing the neck brace to see if it will calm it down. I still have the pain but it has yet to flare up as bad as the other night. I am scared as this is pain the goes beyond anything I can endure. Behind my ear & temple are really painful. This is just so bizzare & hard to figure out when it involves everything. Even the left side of my nose hurts, they even thought maybe the sinuses were involved. Crazy. I am praying the steroids will get me through. I so appreciate everyone shariing as I am have been so worried. Who would have thought a couple discs could involve so very much. God bless & take care, Sammy

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
    deljo
    (female)

deljo HB User

I also am a classic migraine sufferer. Flashing lights, aura, vision disturbances. About a year ago I started having symptoms like yours. Up the back of my neck, into my skull jaw,and etc. I saw my PCP and after he made sure I didn't have a stroke he told me I had basilar migraine. He gave me a high dosage of prednisone for 6 days. It worked. Now I get this migraine very seldom and then its very mild and I can control it with the same fioricet I use for the normal migraine. I know what you're going through. I was dizzy in addition to the pain, and got terrible dizzy spells just turning my head to back the car up. Maybe I should knock on wood but I am so glad these are now controlled.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy...just wanted to say I am glad you did go to the ER because I know you had to be very scared and upset with all that horrible pain. Be sure to let your surgeon know what happened. I hope the stroid pack works for you. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and your in my prayers.

Judy

Old 12-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Del, thank you. I am faithly taking the steroids & have the neck brace on. In addition I have upped my med that my PM told me to up but surgeon thought I could try to go without. The ER doctor said with that kind of pain to up it to try to get through or if I chose to just up it as long as I felt the headaches were a threat. I can feel it lingering & when I chew or eat it seems to irritate everything. I feel for anyone who has to suffer through these kinds of headaches & feel for anyone wearing the neck brace, boy is it hard on the chin.
    Chab, bless you. I am cranky & just want to be pain free. I would be happy to make it through with no more headaches. I want to enjoy christmas with my family & just get the surgery over with. I am praying for a quick recovery so I can get back to work asap. So many are without jobs here & I need to contribute as my husband it still laid off. Ironically enough I was just offered another parttime job & had to pass it up due to surgery. I have worked my butt off for a good reputation in my field & for the most part will not be able to work my line of work much more. I am limited in what I can do now & in the future as I have the lumbar to worry about. Ironic everyones looking for jobs here & I had to pass one up. Life it so strange at times.
    I am sending you out wishes for a great holiday. God bless & take care of yourself. Sammy

Closed Thread