It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF C-5 ~ C-7 Still in pain after 5 yrs. HELP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User
    ACDF C-5 ~ C-7 Still in pain after 5 yrs. HELP?

Hello, Some of you might remember me from waaaay back when about my fusion. I have Anterior and Posterior fusion between them I have two plates and 12 screws in my neck. And Im in more pain now then ever before!
    My Dr. seems to think if he removes the Posterior plate now that my fusion has taken it "may" relieve some of my discomfort, But there is no guarantee, I`m not feelin to good about that. Anyone else out there have both front and back plated like me? and still having pain? from my shoulder down to my finger tips , i was better off prior to BOTH sx`s ...... ANyways, ANy advice or insight is muchly appreciated as usual Peace and Love ppls

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: ACDF C-5 ~ C-7 Still in pain after 5 yrs. HELP?

I remember you from a long time ago. I am sorry that you are having problems. I don't have 2 plates, but I did have a revision and my old plate taken out and a new one put in with additional levels.

Why does the doctor feel taking the plate out will help?

Is there any new findings in the areas where they already fixed? LIke new bone spur growth, scar tissue etc.?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User

Hi neckpatient I remember you too !
    He thinks that the posterior plates (they are really like rods) might be putting pressure on my spine, so removing them MIGHT give me relief, Im not to keen on this idea....

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've been in the position of severe pain after an ACDF (2 years after) and ended up having further surgery May 2008 (posterior foraminotomy and fusion). If I had seen your post in the 4 months after my May 2008 surgery - I would have said "don't do it" since I was in a ton of pain May thru August. But beginning in late September I started getting better and now can say that I have far less pain than I did pre-May 2008. My doctor sat me down in September and said "We did talk about the fact that it can take 12-18 months to see full improvement". I do recall him saying that but I just thought I'd beat the average. So now, all these months later, I'm glad I went in to have the second surgery.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
    ms.titanium
    (female)

ms.titanium HB User

I had an anterior fusion in 2001 and a posterior in 2005. I am still in lots of pain, teeth grinding pain. I have had so much PT I think I could be one. I have had trigger point injections that did not help and massage that feels good but does not help in the long run. Recently I had 2 steroid courses that helped temporally. I have burning and numbness my hands, mostly in the right hand and some in my feet. A cat scan did not show any problems. My doctor thinks it may be inflammation. I am very curious to see if removing the rods in the back will help. Like you I think I would have been better off without any surgery. Please let us know what you decide and if it helps. I am open to anything to help ease the pain.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Ron,
    So sorry to hear about your continued pain...
    In Jan of 2008 I had a posterior cervical foaminotomy at C3-4 4-5 and I felt worse....way way way worse...I was very unhappy as some of the other posters may remember...
    In September of 2008 I changed surgeons and ended up having the ACDF at c4-6 I am finally seeing some reliedf but I am still plagued with terrible myofacial pain...
    I am not sure how I would feel about them wanting to go in there and take out the hardware...would they have to go in anteriorly or posteriorly to take out the rods? I know when they go through posteriorly it is so much more painful then anterior...
    I also think this is something that you will really have to take a big look at your quality of lfe and then weigh the risks of this surgery with what your life is as of now....
    I will keep you in my thoughts....
    Hugs...
    Sky

Closed Thread