It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical collar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    cervical collar

Hey all, to those of you who gave me advice on my collar problem I wanted to let you know the surgeon said it is indeed to big. Why he did not notice that before I cant say. Actually he said I have a pin neck & a jug head teasing of course. I am having a heck of a time finding a smaller collar so I will be going in monday to be measured to see if I need a ped or xsmall. If I can wear a ped I can get one sooner if I need an xsmall it will have to be ordered & wont get that for at least a week. I am not to happy about that. this thing I swallowing me & my husband is worried it will interfer with my recovery. I dont get it, all the places I called & noone carries anything smaller. I know I am petite but heck there are alot of petite women out there.

Anyone else have a problem like this such as ending up with a collar to big?
    I cant open my mouth all the way to even eat. I am wondering if this is contributing with some of the post op pain I am having. My neck hurts every morning along with that headache & its getting on my nerves. I am praying its this collar at least contributing to the neck pain. I am curious to see if anyone of you ended up with a collar that was the wrong fit & it it caused you any problems. Thanks for taking the time out & god bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: cervical collar

well,you already know my story hon. i am THRILLED they are finally seeing this for what it has been all this time,a collar that simply does not fit you,duh? honestly sammy,your surgeon should have actually 'seen' this when he saw you sitting upright(did he visit you at all the next day?). from what you described to me i knew you were dealing with what i did. hopefully the peds will be okay for you and you wont have to wait at all for the new one. a peds worked really well for me. believe me,the people who actually have "no necks" are really really hard to fit. now THAT takes some doing.

having the right fit with these collars espescially with a spine surgery really IS very crucial,not only for comfort and eating but what your hubby mentioned too. it can create problems with your just operated on c spine alignment. it is being moved around too much like when you try to eat,and digging into things which just DOES create alot more pain and problems for you to have to deal with too. hopefully they can change this out right away. you sound like you have the same type of neck i do along with the head thing,lol. a good fit should be UNDER your chin and not come above it. it just needs to fit snuggily around your neck without it being pushed up in any way shape or form(espescially when you sit),if it does,too big,next?

good luck with the fitting hon. please keep me posted sammy. hopefully alot of things will just get better and feel better with that right fit. hang in there,Marcia

Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Hey Sammy01,
    I don't know where you all live but my doc did see me in the hospital and saw that the collar was too big. He ordered the smallest one they had and then said that by the time we found a place that makes pediatric collars, many don't, it would be too long for me to wait. I have an adult short x-small and it bothers me but it does not swallow me like the other one. Plus I did not have the money it might cost to get the other collar.
    I don't know, right now I'm concerned because feelbad and you stated that these are crucial to recovery. I can't help but take mine off when I am lying down or eating. The doc said if I take it off while I am lying down or sitting, it should really only be for an hour. Man why? I honestly have to say I've layed down watching tv for more than an hour without it on.
    Am I hurting my recovery? I don't want to, I already have bouts of what I call "freak outs" that its not going to work, the pain won't get better and blah blah blah, that causes more tightness in the neck muscles so I kno when it happens to allow it to only last for like five minutes. I have to be positive.
    Has anyone else felt this way?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Capt, I think there are those doctors who are not as insistant about the collar. I believe I have seen posts about surgeons not making patients where them as long as some other surgeons do. My surgeon told me from the start that he went all the way with the collar. So I dont think you would be doing any harm if your not moving about. For that matter there may not be to much of a difference between a larger ped & an adult x small. I am not expecting it to be to comfortable just want to feel like its not swallowing me,lol. I will have to drive abit to get the ped size but I dont care I really am sick of this one. I am constantly having to fool with it. I ended up on the couch last night to see if I would move less to prevent becoming so sore. I had a headache all day & muscle spasms in the chest & ribs. That is the one thing I wanted gone with this surgery. I could have cried. I am still hoping it will go away & according to the surgeon it very well may. My surgeon said alot of post op patients complain of the shoulders & so on, so hang in there.
    I am not so sure your size but at least an xsmall is got to be better then a small. What symtoms are you still having if you dont mind my asking? I am curious to see if we have much of the same. Thus far my surgeon thinks I have a good chance of it all getting better. He made sure I understood this is a very long recovery & it can take up to a year for some pain/symptoms to improve. Over all he was very pleased & the xray showed what he called picture perfect results. Next I believe he will check to see if its fusing.
    My husband & I both feel that do to the way I sleep this collar may be hindering me because it is so big. Let me know how your doing.

Thank you Marica as usual you were correct. I have to remember to get my pre op & post op reports. I am really curious to see that post op as my sister claims it was worse then my husband stated & the surgeon just briefed over it quickly. He made the oddest statement that I was a surgeons dream of or something like that. Not so sure what he meant. He just said if I am careful I can go along time with the C7 & 4. I pretty much told him if he wants my business in the future he would do something with this collar,lol, I have the lumbar to deal with yet.
    At least I know why I was in so much pain & after being blown off somewhat by my PM that last appointment before surgery I am curious to see what he has to say on the 19th. I was in so much pain I swear I cant remember much about the week before. For the life of me I could not get anyone to listen to me. I did not think I would make it. The surgeon said he understands why with what was left there going into the spinal cord along with some bone spurs doing the same. He was really curious to see how I was doing & if I was still having the headaches. Really is scary to think that could happen again. I am convinced I have messed up my jaw by clenching those last couple weeks before surgery. I am curious to see if a better fitting collar makes a differnce with these lingering headaches to. This on prevents me from opening my mouth all the way. We will see, I am going monday for the fitting & hopefully will be able to go & get the ped. I'll let you know.
    Thanks again & god bless, Sammy

Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Hey Sammy
    Glad to hear you're going to get fit for a smaller collar. When I was in the hospital I knew right away it was too big and just happened to mention it to the doc and he said right away "it looks like you're being swallowed up in it." So you are not alone, if he hadn't have come in when he did, the day I was being discharged I would be in your position right now.
    As for my recovery they said it looked like they were able to get and fix all of the messed up parts, and they thought I would eventually have a full recovery. Right now to be honest the pain from the neck, they went in through the back not front, hurts and all of those muscles are swollen and inflamed. My shoulders do hurt from it. The doc said this is all post op recovery. I just didn't think three weeks out I would still be in this much pain. It is a little better than the first week but not as good as I wanted it to be.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
    helenoftroy
    (female)

helenoftroy HB User

Sammy,
    I am a newish lurker and I want to let you know how much your posts have helped me. I had surgeries quite a while ago (c/4-c/5 in 2002, and c5-c6-c7 in 2006), but still use a collar when I need it. Recently, my mother bought me an adjustable collar. She had a lot of money left in her Flexible Spending Account at the end of the year, and she used some of it on the collar and some new ice packs for me. I think she got it at Walgreens or CVS in South Carolina. Anyway, It is small enough lengthwise that it does not overlap too much when I fasten it in the back. Then, after you secure the velcro part in the back, you pull on a little strap under the chin. It pulls down the part under the chin so you can talk, eat, etc. I like it because it still feels thick enough and secure around the sides and back of the neck but small enough in the very front. By the way, I am a petite 33 year old, with a small neck and large head.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks ladies, that is good to know Helen in case in the future I need a collar that will be more comfortable.
    I am getting the run around & am in no mood to deal with it. The surgeons office called the med. supply & in return they called & spoke to my husband asking if I wanted to come back in to see if they could modify it more.
    I am really struggling & kind of feeling depressed so I just cant be bothered for now. I dont trust the med supply as I know they cant be bothered. The guy took the back of the collar with him into another room to make is more comfortable & when he returned forgot he even had it, when I told him he took it along with the front part he just looked at me & said no I did not, then of course he had to go & find it where he left it. After finding it he said of it fits fine now, that does not give me alot of confidence to go back there.
    I am moving alot in my sleep & that worries me. I know I dont have the support I need but I dont have the energy to fight with med. supply, surgeon & all that.
    My husband is calling the insurance today to see what they say.
    After all your responses I really think that those of us who are petite just dont fit your average small collars. I am having more pain & am hoping the wrong fit is not the cause. I will see what the insurance says in but I do plan on letting the surgeon know how the medical supply handled it. They cant go back & say it was the right fit when the first store (was sent to 2) said it measured to big. Its all a game of CYA (cover your ***). I'll let you know if anything more comes of it. Thanks again Sammy

Closed Thread