It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• does a bruised spinal cord show on a mri

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
    ginaveronica
    (female)

ginaveronica HB User
    does a bruised spinal cord show on a mri

does a bruised spinal cord show on a mri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: does a bruised spinal cord show on a mri

Hi there,
    I am not a medical professional so I am going to just gues given the information and things I have read from other peopl's posts and MRI reports...
    I recall a long whiel back a person posted an MRI report and it had stated something about a bruised spinal cord. Then there was much discussion about what that is and what it means. Those things I do not have an answer for.

I do watch a lot of medical documentaries and or some live medial shows of injured fols and hae also heard the termonology of "bruised Spinal cord" on/in those prgrams but again I am not sure what all that would mean or entail...I am thinking ther are some perimeters that would go along with it such as the severity of the bruising and the nature of the injury and some other factors...where how long ..things like that.

Hopefuly since I have responded others will now respond with more information...Maybe a search of this in the library or on the internet or on health boads you may find more info....

I am not sure if ther is a way to research old threads to see if you could find inforomatiom about it on HB but I would try looking into it that way first...
    Good luck and if your the one who has been told you have a bruised spinal cord and feel you would like to share more about what is ging on with you I am sure we all would like to listen and to support you...

Also Medical tests such as MRI I think sometimes can show a lot but sometimes some things do not show and further testing or imaging are needed to define the problems meiacally!
    Hope this helps....
    Sky

Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
    MRJJ
    (male)

MRJJ HB User

Hi,
    I was interested in your post because I had surgery recently and my injury included spinal injury. When I was in hospital they referred to my spinal bruising as a contusion.

An MRI can show the anatomy of the vertebrae including disks, spinal cord, and spaces which nerves pass.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am just wondering what your mechanism of injury was that created what they termed a 'bruised spinal cord"? to my recollection,the actual inner cord itself carries no true blood supply,its all along the outside layers. so real bruising i would think would be on the outter layers like the arachnoid and there are other layers too you would have to go thru just to even get to the cord. i myself had to have a spinal cord surgery back in 2003 which they had to cut about a third of the way in just to remove a vascular malformation that was not supposed to be there. i do seem to recall my NS saying that all blood supply was on the outside. the inner mostly consists of white and gray matter along with all the spinal tracts that carry the info to and from our brains. but whether or not a bruise would show there,i would think it would at the very least, pick up on the iron in the blood release of the broken vessel. it did inside my cord, it was called hemosiderin staining in the cord from my cavernous hemangioma,not a bleed from the cord itself. i don't know for certain when a bleed would be on the outter layers if it would still ba called hemosiderin,but if that is noted on any MRI report,that IS what that means,just an FYI.

did you suffer some form of blunt force trauma to your spine? if so,what was the nature of your injury? if you took a hit strong enough to bruise the outter layers,there very well could be some level of at least temporary compression that did hit your cord too,like a rebound or bounce back type of injury(this type of injury may not actually show itself upon MRI,so they would go by your symptoms to tell)? or a possible shift in vertebrae or the discs. what did your MRI state about that area besides bruising to it? any info would help us to help you better. Marcia

Closed Thread