It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pain in right shoulder blade

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
    tatonnement
    (female)

tatonnement HB User
    Exclamation Pain in right shoulder blade

hi
    im new to these boards but find them very helpful and decided to post myself. for about two days now i've been having pain in my right shoulder blade that is tender to touch, and every time i press down onto it, i feel this squeezing, radiating pain. this morning i woke up and it has extended into my right arm in certain positions, the pain in my right arm is rather dull. the pain goes away if i sit in a certain position or lay down. however, if i straighten up or pull my arms back, the pain comes back and it almost like stabbing sensation. overall my back feels stiff and tender. i don't have a cough or anything, i can breathe in deeply during certain positions. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is a back, spinal problem or a muscle problem or perhaps something worse? I've tried taking a hot bath and it's only given temp. relief. the part that is concerning me is that it has worsened and i haven't been able to do anything but lie down. any help would be appreciated. i might be going to the walk in clinic tonight but i somehow doubt i will get any help there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User
    Re: Pain in right shoulder blade

it's likely cause is a herniated cervical disc. my c-4-c5, and c-5-c6 are herniated, and i have the same exact "stabbing" pain in my left shoulder blade. it also radiates down my arm all the way down to my fingertips. your nerves most likely being compressed which is causing the sensations. when they are not inflamed/irritated, that's when you have relief.

tight muscles can also irritate nerves. when you are in pain, your muscles will also tighten more..so it's a vicious circle. my doc prescribed me anti-inflammatory meds, muscle relaxers and pain killers. i have gone through over 2 months of p.t. and my next step is an emg..next week.

Last edited by rootsy13; 01-22-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User
    Re: Pain in right shoulder blade

I had this issue and had an MRI that showed hernaited disc of C4-5-6-7. I went through 8 weeks of PT but it did not help. There was compression of my spinal cord and I also had some numbness in my left hand. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and the did a acdf 2 levels with hardware. I just went for my post op 2 week check up and I am doing good. The pain is gone and most of the numbness but still have some depending on how I am sitting or if I overdue things. I will be out of work for a few more weeks and I still can't drive. I would think that you should have an MRI to see what is going on.
    Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread