It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical spinal epidural, how do they know if it is in the right place

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
    tgentry09
    (male)

tgentry09 HB User
    cervical spinal epidural, how do they know if it is in the right place

cervical spinal epidural, how do they know if it is in the right place

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: cervical spinal epidural, how do they know if it is in the right place

first thing? make certain whoever is actually doing your ESI is an actual anesthesiologist,they do these much much better than any other type of doc. when they give the injection,they also use whats called flouroscpy. this is an injection of dye into the area where they are doing the injection at,along with some level of scan that picks it all up. it just shows on a screen where the exact needle placment is at any given time during that injection. the doc can then watch the "spread out" of the dye and know where that right spot is. does that help at all? good luck with the injection,i do hope it helps. they have helped my c spine mess way back when before i had my fusion surgery done. keep me posted.Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 01-29-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: just bein me

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hello there and welcome to the Board
    I think that feelsbad gave some good descriptions there....
    I have had many of these and my PM is the one who performed them...He used the flouroscope and also would mark areas by feeling and such before he would actually go in with the needle..his does the marking with both trigger points and wiht ESI's...Part of the reason they do not put you al the way asleep is because they need for you to resond to them when they are doing the actual procedure...
    Ask your doc lots of question and aske more questions here as well as to the person giving you the ESi...
    I hope that your ESI will work well.
    Keep us posted and let us know how your doing!\Sky

Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

First, by your symptoms they can tell which nerves are involved. Each nerve has a dermatome (an area of the body where impingement or damage of the nerve is felt).

Then, while doing the injection they are using a flourascope which is an "active xray" so it stays on during the procedure. That helps the doctor track where the needle is in relation to the nerve they are aiming for.

I've had many of these done and all have gone smoothly. I always insist on conscious sedation (where they give some versed to calm me during the procedure - enough that I don't remember anything but am able to walk out under my own power when it's over).

Closed Thread