It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Severe cord compression & chiropractor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User
    Severe cord compression & chiropractor

Hi again,

I posted earlier regarding mri results - saw neurosurgeon who said surgery - but won't be able to have surgery till August due to FMLA - anyhoo HR person is looking into somethings to see if there's any way i may be able to have it earlier. Dr. did suggest I get a collar for my bad days and possible PT.

Since I have time I am going to get a second opinion and some people have been suggesting that I see a chiropractor. I was wondering if it would be safe to see one if i have spinal cord compression?

I just want to make sure that i don't do something to have further damage. Thank you for any help regarding

mri results below just to refresh

there is signigicant central stenosis related prominent disc bulges and disc-osteophyte complex formation C5-C6 and C6-C7. Cord is compressed at both levels, more severely at C5-C6. At c5-C6 anterior to posterior cord dimension is reduced to less than 0.4 cm. There is appreciable left sided foraminal encroachment at c5-c6 and c6-c7, right sided mild foraminal stenosis at both levels as well.

other levels free of significant central or foraminal stenosis.

Impression: Severe cervical spine degenerative change prominent disc osteophyte complex formation c5-c6 and c6-c7 resulting in central stenosis, cord compression and foraminal encroachment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
    guynnm
    (female)

guynnm HB User
    Re: Severe cord compression & chiropractor

I would definitely NOT get any chiropractic treatment with a cord compression could make you worse!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

uh uh,no way should you have traction with direct cord compression going on,ever. you have really know way of knowing just how things will shift up there once that traction gets applied. it would be very highly risky at best at this point. if something like muscle massage would help,you can go that route,i would just not 'do' anything at this point that would actually cause possible 'movement' to that degree right now. some people with direct compression can become paralyzed by using traction. you simply cannot actually 'see' what the traction is doing up there at any point,you know what i mean? you just do not want to compromise that cord anymore than it already is.Marcia

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Red face Re: Severe cord compression & chiropractor

I think everyone gave you good advice - especialy feelbad. Many of us have lived with spine problems- we know they can be life changing even with the best of treatment. There are some good chiro docs in the country that could treat this condition very well for palliative care, but you have severe cord compression - they are not going to fix that - your NS says you need surgery. Chiro might be good for massage (like feelbad recommended) heat and ultra sound treatments aimed at providing a little comfort and muscle relief while you wait for your surgery. They do have a few tricks but I myself would not let them do adjustments - ever! PS - These type comfort treatments could also be done at PT or a professional massage therapist.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have to agree with what was already said. No way would I even attempt going to a chiro. Because you have to wait till august I would not do anything that could possably aggravate it. Any treatments that could make you more comfortable til surgery, such as massage, that would not pose any threat is all I woud attempt.
    Makes you wonder about doctors sending people to PT before really knowing whats wrong in there. I wonder how many people have had traction & went to chiros not knowing the true condition there spine is in. I know I was one of those people. If I knew then what I know now I would never have attempted traction or a chiro. My surgeon did tell me to wear the collar when I became worse right before surgery. good luck & take good care of yourself. Sammy

Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
    HarleyLdy61
    (female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Thanks for all the replies.

I figured the chiro was a bad idea - it's just people see that you seem fine on the outside not realizing all the pain that your feeling inside or how serious spinal cord compression can be. That's why I'm glad that I found this board because you all have been or going through spine issues and it's a really good feeling to know that someone out there understands the pain and even the frustration of not being able to do the things that your use to doing - especially with the grandkids.

Dr's pt note does say heat, ultrasound and massage.

Once again thank you and wishing you all well.

Liz

Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User

Absolutely NOT - no chiropractor. Take it from a 39 year old who has been through just this recently. I love my chiro - been seeing him for 26 years - but when it's this bad, your spine (neck) is very unstable and they could do a lot of damage. He even told me that. I will never have my chiro adjust my neck again - obviously now that I've had a fusion (occurring) done there.
    GOOD LUCK on your surgery and keep us updated.

I also had pretty bad cord compression - and severely herniated disk impinging my cord and left nerve root.

GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread