It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• EMG Results Abnormal...?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User
    EMG Results Abnormal...?

Can anybody elaborate on this?:

There are signs of mild acute denervation in peripheral C6 myotome biceps and deltiod and corresponding paraspinals on left side. Abnormal electrodiagnostic study suggestive of left C6 radiculopathy of fairly recent onset.

What exactly is denervation? Oh..and I have a C4-C5 & C5-C6 herniation.

Thanks,

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: EMG Results Abnormal...?

I hope I do this justice. The good news is they have confirmation for you that you have a nerve root compressed at C6 in your neck. Your emg confirmed that the nerve root compressionm and the route it takes to your extremity (myotome) all match up with the diagnosis. Denervation is the loss of nerve conduction in laymans terms, partial is like some of the nerve fibers are not working properly, weakness is a hallmark of this.

What are you doing next?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    I hope I do this justice. The good news is they have confirmation for you that you have a nerve root compressed at C6 in your neck. Your emg confirmed that the nerve root compressionm and the route it takes to your extremity (myotome) all match up with the diagnosis. Denervation is the loss of nerve conduction in laymans terms, partial is like some of the nerve fibers are not working properly, weakness is a hallmark of this.

What are you doing next?

thank you for that breakdown! well, i have a cervical epidural scheduled for monday. i'm not sure how many i will need, but my doc just mentioned somewhere between 1-3. from what i've read, there has to be 2 week intervals between each one. but on the site of the place i'm going to, it said if relief isn't found in the first one..they most likely won't continue so i don't know. my doc also told me to start exercising my left arm with a light weight to try and strengthen it more. i hope all of the above works because i'd really like to avoid having surgery at such a young age.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User

one more question..do you know what "mild acute" means? sounds like an oxymoron. i thought acute meant serious.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Most people think it means serious, but it means recent onset in medical term, and if your condition were to continue long term it would be switched out with the word chronic inserted. Mild states the condition of it - like mild, moderate or severe.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    Most people think it means serious, but it means recent onset in medical term, and if your condition were to continue long term it would be switched out with the word chronic inserted. Mild states the condition of it - like mild, moderate or severe.
    tnx again...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

rootsy, I am glad something showed up. Its alot better to know to have to wonder. Good luck with the injections & let us know how it goes. God bless, Sammy

Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
    rootsy13
    Inactive
    (female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
    rootsy, I am glad something showed up. Its alot better to know to have to wonder. Good luck with the injections & let us know how it goes. God bless, Sammy
    Thanks Sammy. I will let you know. My app't switched to Tuesday. I am seeing a new doctor since I read an unfavorable review about the one I was supposed to see. I am very nervous when it comes to anesthesiologists since my sister died under the care of one.

Closed Thread