It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• pulsating pressure in neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    pulsating pressure in neck

Has anyone here ever experienced pulsating pressure pain in their neck when they lay their head on a pillow (even the memory foam or cervical pillows) or sat back against a high-backed chair (head pressing into the fabric furniture)? It feels like the blood is coursing like wildfire and it just throbs and pulsates -for over a week now, makes sleeping and resting difficult. It can run up through my head, across my shoulders and a bit down to my upper back, even out to my arms. It's there when I'm not pressing my neck against something, but less pronounced -still undesirable, though. It's extremely bothersome and the pressure is painful, but my doctor said he thinks I'm just stressed!? I always have life stress and there was some additional stress a couple weeks ago w/ my husband's hospitalization (he's fine now), but I also hurt my neck and back a couple weeks ago (65lb dog jerking me all over the place on his leash) and was concerned this was due to that (doc said I'd know if I injured my neck and that my symptoms sound like stress). It won't go away despite stress-relieving tactics and I really don't believe it's 'just stress'. Anyone, please?
    Thank you,
    Meghan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: pulsating pressure in neck

has your doc bothered to simply do an MRI on your c spine to actually see if anything is actually wrong in there? stress is the ultimate slap in the face from any doc who does not really want to help their patients,the its all in your head crap? considering what you are having as symptoms,its the very least he could do for you at this point ya know? it would either rule something in or out as possible contributors. i just seriously doubt that this is the old doc catch all 'stress'.

feeling actual blood flow changes withn your neck also needs to be checked into too. that can be partially done with that MRI using a contrasing agent and also a simple ultrasound done on your carotid arteries within your neck on both sides would check just how much true bloodflow is getting thru and most imporantly,the velocity of that bloodflow, that velocity can tell alot about what may be casuing a higher level of bloodflow to be created upon changing posistion or if there could be something like an actual blood clot forming or just plaque that can form there too. if you think of your artery like a garden hose" what occurs when you create a smaller opening in the nozzle? it shoots much harder and furhter than when it is at the "normal' opening,you know what i mean? so is there is anything that is casuing some level of narrowing within any given artery,when the blood reaches that particular area,it would naturally create a much higher level of velocity,which would be hitting the arteries pretty hard. this just simply needs some looking into with some very basic type tests right now. you do deserve a doc who is willing to find answers for you,anytime you have a problem,not blow it off as being 'just stress'. if this doc wont explore this for you,find another one who will,you just deverve a doc who is willing to do what the right things are for their patients. just always remember that ANY doc you actually 'hire' is supposed to be working FOR YOU not the other way around. but se about getting those very basic tests. anything that is found would kind of dictate what you need to do next. i dio wish you luck with this doc in getting your very real needs met here,but if he once again just blows you off,you DO have the right to find another more caring doc. they ARE out there,trust me on that. please keep me posted. good luck,Marcia

Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User
    Re: pulsating pressure in neck

Hi,
    I have experienced that feeling before and feelbad's advice is one to take to heart. I still have that feeling, i don't like to lie flat on pillows because it hurts. Though this pain I have right now is from recovering from surgery the pain I was in before was because a lot of things. I have never had a doc tell me it is from stress unless I straight out asked him. Then they always add that pain is real just as real as stress is. The doc did some x-rays, mri's and ctscans before the surgery which revealed degenerative disc disease. The cat scan revealed a cyst and spinal stenosis which is narrowing of the spinal canal like feelbad said. I had surgery in December 18 because it was happening so fast. When they first took the x-ray through to the ctscan it got about 80% worse. They were even able to see it on the films.
    What I'm trying to say is that you do need to have someone validate your pain, whether you have pulled muscles back there or something more. I know when I don't feel validated I feel like then it's all in my head and I'm crazy. This pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.
    Get a second opinion, ask for a referral for an orthopedic or neurosurgeon doctor. If you feel any numbness stress that. Doctors look for numbness, pain at a 8 out of 10 or higher, and limited mobility. Did your doc even touch your neck to see if you were tight, meaning the muscles? I would go to another doc or even go to the er where they do those tests there. Of course that is the last resort as they are long and trying waits in the ER. Listen to feelbad's advice and keep telling your doc you are in a lot of pain.

Closed Thread