It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• I have recently been diagnosed with OPLL.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
    djs625
    (male)

djs625 HB User
    Post I have recently been diagnosed with OPLL.

I have recently been diagnosed with OPLL. Looking for more info re OPLL and if anyone has undergone surgery to prevent paralysis.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-07-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: to merge your posts - please start a new thread for yourself instead of bumping up old threads from other people

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
    djs625
    (male)

djs625 HB User
    Re: OPLL, ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament

Did youhave the sugery for OPLL and was it successful?

Old 02-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
    djs625
    (male)

djs625 HB User

Did you have the sugery for OPLL and was it successful? I was recently diagnosed with OPLL. looking for more info. Thanks!!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
    DebbieM2610
    (female)

DebbieM2610 HB User

My husband just had 2 surgeries at one time (sorry I am poor with the medical terms but I know it there was fusion), front and back of neck from C2 to C6 on 3/16 at UCLA for a severe case of OPLL. Left arm numb, right hand partial numbness, off balance and waddled when he walked. They have him sitting/walking and I think he is during great. Not very much pain. He will be transferred any day now to an in-patient rehab facility. I know he had the BEST surgeon for this procedure. Dr. Larry Khoo-Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center and I believe the prognosis is good for improvement.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
    Plnolady
    (female)

Plnolady HB User
    Re: I have recently been diagnosed with OPLL.

I am a white female (just turned 50) and I was diagnosed with OPLL in September 2006. I had surgery in October 2006. I now have 4 titanium rods from C3 to C6 with very limited movement in my neck. I have chronic pain in my shoulders and neck and severe full body spasms whenever I start to fall asleep. It took several months to diagnose OPLL because living in California it's just not something Orthopedics or Neurologist look for. I didn't have a choice about having or not having surgery. I was rapidly loosing use of my legs and arms and within 1 month I went from walking to using a cane to using a walker. When I went in for surgery I was told there was a 40+% chance I wouldn't walk again. I feel very blessed as I AM walking and even riding my Harley Davidson Motorcycle. It took me over 2 years to "recover" and when all is said and done I will never be the same. The surgery wasn't so hard to go through, but the recovery and waiting to see how much use of my body would return....that was and at times still is the hardest part.

Every doctor who has seen me tells me I am permanently disabled. I applied twice for permanent disability and was denied due to "my age, education and work experience". I guess if I wasn't college educated and knew how to flip burgers maybe I would have been given permanent disability. I am now working and doing a job I did 20 years ago and making 1/3 of what I did before surgery. I am a woman of faith and I have to believe there is a good reason why I have and am going through this.

I could go on and on about OPLL, the surgery, recovery, etc...but I've already written more than I had planned on. <smiling> Anyone going through this....I would be happy to answer questions or just chat. It would be so nice to find a support group or a handful of other folks who have OPLL and have or are going to have surgery and/or are recovering from surgery.

Closed Thread