It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sneezing & old pains returning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Sneezing & old pains returning

I am giving this a second shot here. I have caught this virus & been sneezing like crazy along with coughing, my arms/shoulder are really hurting. I have like some spasms in the neck also. I am sure there is some sort of pressure from all the sneezing & it could aggravate things. I was feeling alot better before this virus struck. I am worried because the pain just increasing. Any opinions? Thanks Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User
    Re: Sneezing & old pains returning

Hi Sammy,

I took a bad cough the day after my surgery and it lasted a few days. I was so worried that the violence of coughing and sneezing was going to vibrate my cage out. The hospital told me it wasn't an ideal situation but I would just have to wait and see. I hope there has been no lasting damage and seem to be doing okay this last few days. I suppose I will only really know that all is going according to plan when I get my 6 week X-ray in 3-4 weeks time.

I don't know what it is like where you live but "spring" is in the air here. The nights are becoming brighter and snowdrops, tree buds and crocuses are in bloom. After our dreary winter here a few good days seems to have put a bit of a spring in everyone's step. Hopefully all the coughs and colds will get less too.

I hope you get better soon, bobbyboo x

Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thank you so much. I have never sneezed so much in my life.
    We were just dumped on with a ton of snow. This has been a long winter!
    I envy you being able to see signs of spring.
    Honestly I did not have all this pain in my shoulder & arms till this darn virus. After all of this you cant help but worry, you know? Everyone is sick, even family who live in different states I have spoken with are complaining of much the same. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again & take care. Sammy

Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

Sammy, I really hope you feel better soon. I hope this old pain is only temporary. We just got dumped with snow also and now it's below zero again. I hope spring arrives soon.

Take care,
    Nicole

Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sneezing and coughing both raise the pressure of the cerebro-spinal fluid in your spinal canal and head(as does straining on the toilet). You just had that area opened and operated on. It should hurt. It would be like putting pressure on your incision. If the pain gets really bad, call your doc's office and ask them. Don't want to rip out any inside stitches.

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you Jenny, I am praying it just gets better. I am tired of it to be honest. My left arm is really hurting & the only relief is when I do nothing.
    Nicole I am with you, ready for spring here. I just heard we are getting more snow the end of the week here. Geez, this has been the longest winter I can remember in along time. At least we are not stuck in collars in the summer though.Thats a good way of looking at it. We'll both be collar free when the nice weather comes.
    I am counting the days down here with you till surgery. I have a good feeling here. You are going to do fine. Hang in there, god bless, Sammy

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sammy01, we must be in the same geographic area because they are talking a spring snowstorm here for the end of the weekend here, too.

Trust me in that it takes time for all those pains to disappear. I swear I felt more pain at 6 months post-op than the month after. Healing does weird things. Sometimes they cut a small nerve and as it heals it screams with every movement. Muscles take forever to heal and so they hurt and aggravate the nerves. And a hurt spinal nerve or spinal cord has a LONG, LONG memory and it takes a long time for it to heal, forgive and forget.

Here's a little fact for you on sneezing and coughing. Those along with straining on the toilet are called the Valsalva Maneuver and can be used to stop heart palpitations or even a racing heart because of the increase in the fluid pressure in the brain. My doc has me use it to stop palpitations. So sneezing can increase the fluid pressure in your spine and cause pain down the nerves.

Give it time. My last visit to my neurosurgeon he sat and talked with me for a while(highly unusual). He told me that major orthopedic/spine surgeries take a good 2 years to recover from completely. I told him he should have told me that. He said he doesn't because too many people freak out over it. I reminded him I had both knees replaced at once and 2 years is easy to me. He smiled and patted me on the back and said next time he'll tell me everything up front....if there is a next time! He's a good guy and one of the best spine surgeons in the world(had him checked out by a mal-practice attorney)so if he says 2 years, I take his word for it.

Give it time. Gentle, gentle hugs...............Jenny

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenny, Bless you, you give me hope. I feel like I am going backwards alittle with this recovery & even though I am behaving myself, which is not like me I am still in pain. It gets pretty confusing when the surgeon is pushing me to decrease the pain meds, its leads me to believe I should not be in this pain. Then he will say I have been like this for so long it may take time. Its enough to drive you crazy. I am asking when I can take motrin or something like that again, I have a feeling I'll need that to try to decrease the meds. Not sure if it will help but I am willing to give it a try. I really am sick of it, I am not doing well & going to speak to my PM about his opinion. I could use more muscle relaxer at times but dont want the surgeon on me about that so I have held off. I am going to take it more for a day or so to see if it will make a differance. I can say my pain increased with the shoulder area at the same time I took on this virus so who knows. I would just like to have some better days, but then we all want those.
    Again thank you so much, it really helps me out to know these things. God bless, Sammy
    PS Its a lovely rainy day today, I'll take the snow.

Closed Thread