It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Having c3 4 5 fusion in 10 days have some questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
    indychris
    (male)

indychris HB User
    Having c3 4 5 fusion in 10 days have some questions

I am going to have c3 4 and 5 fusion, posterior approach with bone graft, pins, plate and screws in 10 days and wanted to know why my Dr. won't operate on my shoulder to remove a bone spur that pushes on my nerves when I move my arm at same time. I would like to miss as little work as possible. He wants to wait 3 weeks after I recover before he does that surgery. I also want to know if smoking will hurt my recovery time. Thanks Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Having c3 4 5 fusion in 10 days have some questions

I am not sure why but I would think he would want to see how the fusion goes. With the shoulder & fusion done at the same time it could be hard to tell because of symptoms & lets face it the fusion alone is a major surgery.
    He may be wanting to see if any pain you have in your shoulder improves after this fusion. I also am wondering if you'll be in sling, I cant see being in a sling that close to having fusion done.
    I have shoulder surgery jan 2008 (Decompression & removed a bone spur) & fusion this year. I honestly think you would need alot more care if you have them both done at once. I know before my shoulder surgery I was in agony, could not move my arm an inch most days. Ended up in a sling for months before surgery. I am sure the C problems were contributing but did not know at the time. I am assuming your in some pain, I honestly would vomit from the pain of what I now know was both C & shoulder problems.
    The shoulder surgery alone you'll want to rest. If the fusion goes well you will not have much discomfort other then the collar if you wear one, the shoulder is different. I think your surgeons wise to wait & I am surprised he is doing them that close together.
    I understand how you feel as all I worried about was getting back to work but if you want these surgerys to help you'll have to rest. I pushed my luck after my shoulder surgery & paid for it.
    Smoking can cause the bone not to fuse. If you smoke try cutting back & quitting before surgery.
    Good luck I sure feel for you, Sammy

Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Having had both shoulders operated on and a C3 to T1 fusion, I can give a BIG reason why he can't do both at once.

First, with a posterior approach, you are going to be laying on your face for the operation. A shoulder surgery is usually done by scope and laying on your side. OR's are usually set up for one kind of surgery or the other. They don't have the scoping equipment in a spine OR and the spine OR for posterior surgery has all sorts of equipment for turning your over. So you'd have to be wheeled from one OR to another and that is just "unsterile"!

So that is just one practical consideration.

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
    indychris
    (male)

indychris HB User

Thanks for the info Sammy and Jenny. I guess I will just need to wait on the shoulder.
    Chris

Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

If you rest the shoulder, which recovery will do, the spur in time will resorb and you may not need it addressed. The neck could cause you to feel pain where your shoulder hurts. My bilateral wrist pain is gone since my ACDF. Those are some possable reasons. If you really want to know, ask your Dr. in a very nice way. They have big ego's and some do not like to be questioned, but he/she is working for you. You are paying for a service. Smoking will/can cause a non or delayed union. The nicotine affects the bone marrow where the new bone cells are formed and will inhibit bone growth. Even the nic. gum/losgens ect. will hurt your recovery.

Closed Thread