It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• arm/hand numbness/tingling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User
    arm/hand numbness/tingling

Hi,
    What do you think the chance is that this numbness and tingling I feel post-op in my hands/arms that comes on with activities such as walking on the treadmill or holding my arms out is related to having surgery 1 mo. ago with associated swelling. I did forget one time and lifted something too heavey and felt pain after in m arm, but this is in both arms like before and comes and goes...I would think the swelling would have gone down by now. Pain comes and goes depending on what I am doing... I am following my 5 lb weight restriction. They did tell me I could raise my arms over my head so I am folding clothes too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User
    Re: arm/hand numbness/tingling

Did you have any numbness and tingling before your surgery or is this the first time you've felt it?
    -wymom

Old 03-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

Yes, and it varied too, it was worse though. I felt complete relief after surgery and was also given steroids.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
    Wymom94
    (female)

Wymom94 HB User

Yes, and it varied too, it was worse though. I felt complete relief after surgery and was also given steroids

If you had complete relief post-op and it's back after a month, I'm not sure what's going on. I had numbness pre and post op and mine is permanent nerve damage, which I knew might be permanent when I had my surgery (hoped it wouldnt be, though). I'd go back to your NS and ask what he/she thinks, have them do the testing they did pre-op (all the in-office tests to check your nerves). Do you have any hardware in your neck? If not, ask your PT for deep-heat ultrasound to help break up any forming scar tissue (can't have it if you have the hardware, unfortunately -least my PT won't do it). Maybe that would help some, I don't know.
    Good luck
    wymom

Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have to same. If I recall my surgeon said at that time it could be normal. I felt better after surgery & pretty good at 2wks vs. now.
    My last visit the same restrictions applied but light things like folding clothes was fine. Laundry as a whole my surgeon said no, lifting wet clothes, transferring from washer into dryer & so on... As we all know surgeons are different as is our recoverys. If I lift my arms over my head, as I am prone to do in my sleep my pain sky rockets. This may be linked more to the muscles though, as may have some damage there.
    Its a long recovery & nerve wrecking as you can never be sure whats going on in there. Its good your staying on your restrictions & I would try not to worry to much at this point. I just asked a friend who said it took 6mnths for her to really feel improvement. Good luck, Sammy

Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

some of this could be somewhat 'normal' for what you had done and just the way things can heal post op, but if this persists, at the very least, obtain an x ray just to check on the overall alignment up there(espescially if you did NOT have any hardware placement done). in some cases, things can shift a bit? you just need to make certain that 'that' is not whats going on. just exactly what was done and at what levels? is what you are feeling 'exactly' the same as pre op or is this different somehow? like different fingers being affected? or just any other differences overall?

i would seriously be writing down everyday just what it is you are feeling and where. it really does help when you have the follow ups with your surgeon. the more specific you can be the better, like what exact fingers are being affected and if anything you do helps it or makes it worse type stuff? this just helps your surgeon to know exactly what areas/levels/nerves may be being affected up there. you just need to make certain tho that everything he did is still in the very same place he left it. it would appear that at some point, 'something" moved a bit or shifted just based upon not having this stuff immediately post op but are having it now type of thing? you just want this to heal in the very best way possible,including the fusion taking in all the right places exactly. you just don't want this to actually fuse in the "wrong' areas.

but i would at the very least,call your surgeons office and tell them about your symptoms and ask about just checking alignment with the basic c spine series x rays. this would NOT be a flexion and extension type of x ray, you don;t want to be bending forward or backards just yet. good luck with this and i do hope those symptoms just go away for you soon,but do get this evaluated. please keep us posted,Marcia

Closed Thread