It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• When are you cleared for unlimited activity after acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User
    When are you cleared for unlimited activity after acdf

Hi
    I have been reading some posts and one indicated that after 3 mo. they feel mabe they did too much. How long do the restrictions last???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
    Re: When are you cleared for unlimited activity after acdf

Everyone is different. I had a C7-T1 ACDF in June 2008 and at my two week visit, the surgeon let me take off the collar and said I could drive. At that point I was not in the mood to go out much. I had difficulty walking, and still do, so my situation is probably different from yours. I then went to PT for 8 weeks and got much strength back, but I still tire easily, and evenings are difficult to do much socially. I try to go and be active, but I am really tired out when I do. I did however, go on a 4-day cruise in October, and managed to mostly enjoy it. Some of the activities, such as walking on the beach, were difficult. I also have lower back problems, which make my situation more complicated. My neck doesn't really bother me, except once in a while, I might have a few twinges that are from the surgery. My voice took about 4 months to really get back to normal (for singing) I was fused at my six month checkup and don't go back until my yearly visit. I do water therapy and am busy with helping to run a business, so I am active. The main thing you should do is take things slow, and don't get too impatient. Nerves take a long time to heal and restore. Sometimes they get worse before they get better. Just follow Dr's orders. Best to you.
    Kay

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Unfortunately, I wasn't cleared until about 6 months after surgery, but I had a particularly bad outcome. My doctor said to limit seriously high-impact activities (such as horse-back riding) for a year.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have permanent restrictions to avoid excessive lifting and heavy physical activity. Other than that I was doing most of my normal activities at 9-12 months post-op. In some way you'll always have some restrictions - you'll have to be careful about your neck to avoid further problems. Hence I'll never try roller coasters again - I don't want to have another ACDF at another level if I screw something up.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User

I am post 15months and am trying to find out if it is ok to go downhill skiing? I have felt ok since surgery but have a few other back aches and pains but nothing that stops me from doing anything so far. Last winter I was told no skiing then because the fusion was still taking place. My NS never really told me to come back in like a year or so to have an MRI to see if it was 100% fused. Should I try to get another MRI to make sure I am cleared to ski. I am a good skier and very rarely ever fall but just like everything in life ther is always a chance.......really wanting to ski this season. Anyone else go back to downhill snowskiing post acdf c4-5-6

Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I for one think some surgeons do not go into detail enough when explaining just how long it can take to actually heal from a fusion. As stated already everyone is different. Although restrictions are usually lifted at 3months it does not mean we can resume our old ways. I do think I jumped in a bit to fast but will never know for sure if that caused problems or if the problems where just there.
    Really the only one who can safely anwer that question is your surgeon or doctor. We do have to consider the hardware in our necks & if this could present any problems or threats. I know some have resumed much of their actvities but this does not apply to all. I wish, as there are a lot of things I would love to do again. I hope your one of those that can but make sure its safe first. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread