It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• soft collar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User
    soft collar

Hi,
    I had acdf c4-5 thru c6-7 a month ago and just taken out of the hard collar and put into a soft one and was having really strong muscle spasms that needed rx and the hard collar back on to relax them... anyone else find really strong muscle spasms with a collar change? What can I expect when I start PT in 2 weeks??? I'm kinda worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User
    Re: soft collar

I don't have a collar and I have feirce muscle spasms. I'm 10 days post op and I have a heating pad almost 24 hours a day. I'm also constantly massaging my neck and shoulders. My surgeon does not prescribe muscle relaxers, but I have about a months worth left of zanaflex from what my pm prescribed. Even with the zanaflex, I need the heating pad. Once in a great while I'll rotate with ice.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

Wow, that is really nasty feeling... Do you have the burning too?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have some spasms taking it off at night & alittle during the day. Where are your spasms at? I am still in the hard collar & due to see the surgeon wed. I am curious to see what he says. All these surgeons are so different. How are you doing over all. I know you have done well with your restrictions. Bless you, I know it drives me crazy at times.
    I would really like to see how those do without a collar vs those with. Perhaps I will put a thread up. That may give some insight for you Nicole. I'll give it try here. Sam

How did you enjoy the nice weather today? I noticed some of my flowers coming up, ya hoo, spring is making its way to us Michiganders. Its been a long winter!

Last edited by sammyo1; 03-15-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

Hang on to the hard collar for a while. The muscle spasms send burning pain down my (mostly) right arm. I don't feel the tightness in my neck, just the stuff down the arm..probally from compression... I hope. If they don't go away with rest, I put the hard collar on. I tried tosleep without it and wasn't too sucessful. I did nap today with the soft one. The restrictions are okay, I had my inlaws here with me for 3 weeks, my sis was here for the first week. I have had alot of help so I haven't been "over-doing" it. It dosen't take much though. I'm worried about PT. Yeah, 70 degrees in Michigan tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by want a good out; 03-15-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: more

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I am worried about PT to. I was never able to fully rehab my left shoulder from shoulder decompression last year & I am afraid it will really set off the muscle spasms, which are in the chest & ribs. For me my left arm hurts almost constantly. Its a constant ache starting at the shoulder. I wonder if my surgeon will put me into a soft collar wed., heck I want to drive so bad. This is tough. I feel really bad for those who live alone. Although I know my family hides from me at times,lol. I can have some mood swings every now & then.

I am going to have to watch the news more, 70, heck I am staying outside all day. At least we will be out of the collar for the good weather, thats something.
    God bless, Sammy

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

It is nice to know someone else has some mood swings. I find myself being somewhat emotionally labile. I thought it was the meds. Must be the whole process.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hi - I think you should wean off the hard collar more slowly. The soft collar doesn't really do anything for you. I started taking the hard collar off while sitting at home, an hour here - hour there. Then made it 3-4 hours, Over the week less and less. You will still get the spasms but not as bad. This method allows your neck muscles to regain their strength.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
    want a good out
    (female)

want a good out HB User

I slept with the soft collar only last night and did well.......YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread