It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF post op symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User
    ACDF post op symptoms

Has anyone else experience issues when they take their soft collar off such as your throat feels like something is stuck in it and also sometimes my ear feels like I am under water. This happens after I have the collar off for about 30 minutes. These symptoms go away when I put the collar back on. I am 3.5 weeks post op............. I so much want to get back to normal!! Also seems like the rest of my back crunches and cracks when I wiggle around. This might just be from sitting and laying around all day!
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: ACDF post op symptoms

Yes, I am over 2mths post op & at times I get the same. It really does feel like something is stuck there. It does not interfer with swallowing but it has gotten painful a couple times. Sometimes it does not matter whether I have the collar on of off it will just occur. I am asking my surgeon about it wed. so we will see what he has to say. Good luck, Sam

Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User

sammyo1.......Let me know what your surgeon says and I am also going to ask mine. I have my 4 week post op visit next Wed.
    Take care,
    Carla

Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User

Hi,

I didn't wear a collar but have had this feeling of something stuck in my throat now and then, especially if I lean forward to wash my hair or pick something up.

I mentioned it to my consultant at 5 week appointment and he thought it was caused by internal scar tissue which he hoped would eventually subside.

Bobbyboo x

Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User

I just had my 4 week post op and now that I am out of the soft collar the throat is getting better. I still get the feeling that something is caught in my throat but it is getting better. My biggest issue right now is sleeping at night with no collar. When I had a collar I only slept on my back and now without any collar I can sleep on my sides. When I wake in the morning I am very tight and sore and sometimes my arm is asleep. It always feels like I have a kink in my neck and even the rest of my mid back hurts. It usually takes a few hours before the tightness goes away and my arm and shoulder do not hurt as much. Anyone else have these issues? I just don't want to mess up the fusion because I am sleeping on my side with my neck in the wrong position. Maybe I don't need to worry because the hardware will hold it in the right position and I am worrying for nothing.
    Thanks for any comments....

Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
    dancingbear1564
    (male)

dancingbear1564 HB Userdancingbear1564 HB User

42 y/o male with a 3 level ACDF(donor bone). I'm right now at 17 days post op my soft collar is the bane of my existence at this point in time and my wife is the jailer. I've also got that lump in my throat, where is feels like you are swallowing something slightly bigger than your esophagus. I've been cheating, in my sleep I've been known to pull my collar off, so the stiffness I've kind of beat at this point in time, except in the thoracic area. I already have lumbar issues which I expect to go under the knife for in August of this year, so those I set aside as same old thing. So far the biggest problem I have is itching, my 4.25 inch surgical scar running the length of my neck itches like I have poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak all in the same area breaking out at the same time. Oh hell it's driving me nuts Any help on the the itchy would be great, I'll query my NS about the hockey puck in my throat just as soon as I can FEB 15th is my 30 day post op(1st one). So any news I find out I'll let you know!

Closed Thread