It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Another Question About Fusion C5-6 & C6-7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User
    Another Question About Fusion C5-6 & C6-7

I have one other question, there'll probably be more later. But, I read someone mention that they had chest pain, on their left side. I have herniations with Cord Compression at C5-C6 & C6-C7. Most all of my pain and symptoms seem to be on the left side, from my headaches, arm pain, numbness and loss of grip in left hand. I'm also having chest pain on the left side and I've had it checked with heart tests and stomach tests, but no diagnoses. It really hurts though and nobody has ever mentioned a relation between my neck and chest pain. Can anyone tell me more about this. I'd love to know that it truly is related, because I have been concerned that it may be a heart issue, but nothing shows up.

Also, I told you I'd probably have more questions later, but I thought it would be later than this. I'm having some lower extremity problems, Legs going to sleep and Pins & Needles. Can this be neck related as well? Just curious, as I don't know.

Thanks again for all of your help. You folks are a Godsend!

Pastor Robbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
    Bobbyboo
    (female)

Bobbyboo HB User
    Re: Another Question About Fusion C5-6 & C6-7

I am not sure about the chest pain but I too have had numbness and tingling in my legs. When there is cervical cord compression from a herniation it can manifest itself in the lower extremities as well as the arms. I have heard that there are quite often lumbar spine problems in those with cervical problems and your symptoms could also be coming from some sort of compression lower down.

In my own case the numbness and tingling in my legs remained post op and I strongly suspect from an X-ray (recently got an MRI too but no results yet - surgeon on holiday (which I partially funded ha ha)) that I have herniations, osteoarthritis and possibly some sort of inflammatory condition in my lower spine/pelvis.

You should mention your symptoms to your consultant at your next visit.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
    cjlivinlife
    (female)

cjlivinlife HB User

Before I had my acdf C5-6 C6-7 with hardware I did have pain in the side of my neck that sometimes radiated down the front in my collarbone area and a little futher down the chest. It didn't feel like chest pain though it would sometimes go down the front of my shoulder down to my arm pit and out into the chest a little. Post op I don't have any of that pain now...just my muscles are weak from not doing anything but that will get better once I can start PT. Good Luck and take care.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Pastor. As I mentioned in my post to you, you operate for numbness not necessarily pain. Pain means the nerves are alive and numbness means they are dying.

Cord compression in the neck quite often shows up in the feet and legs first. My very first symptoms were pins and needles in my toes then stiffness ad some numbness in my legs then it hit my arms. I was worst of the left but had cord compression affecting both sides. So yes, your leg problems are from your neck and it can cause bladder and bowel problems too...urgency or lack of response. Think of it this way.....any nerve that leaves your spinal canal below the area of compression is at risk. The risk is that if the blood supply is suddenly cut off by the compression, your spinal cord dies from that level down.

As for the chest pain, pain is usually caused by compression/pinching of the nerves exiting the vertebrae, not cord compression. If you have a problem within the canal, it's very possible you have some arthritis or disk bulging compressing the exiting nerves on the left side and therefore, chest pain. Your doc should clean all of that up when he operates. Just keep remembering that pain means a mad nerve not a dying one. Sometimes we have thank God for pain. As one who narrowly escaped paralysis of my whole left side thanks to a brilliant surgeon, I thank Him every day!

good luck and ask away!

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Hey BobbyBoo,

Thanks so much. I had my right hip Fused when I was 14 years old, due to an accident that I'd had and I was on the verge of leg amputation, but in '82 the doctors decided to try a total fusion as a last resort. Since you mentioned low spine, which I have tremendous pain in as well due to a 2 1/2" leg length deficit from the accident, it may be from another spinal or nerve issue in my lower spine. Thanks and I will get the Dr. to look into it.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I see you are making progress with your questions. I have been off the computer a few days with the flu (and I got a flu shot!).

I have chest pain from my neck and my thoracic, those nerves you have problems at are contributing - it forms the brachial plexus and feeds branches that go to the chest. Mine feels like a tight band squeezing my chest, like heavy pressure and squeezing. It also runs under my armpit, and down the side of my trunk at times. I had every test under the sun and got a 100% heart ok back and they told me it was coming from spine. It should always be checked out but if they come back with nothing then yours is probably the same.

The good news about ACDF for pain is that all the studies report good success with either significantly dropping the pain level or completely erradicating pain after surgery. So you have a good path to stop the damage being done and hopefully control the pain!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    I have chest pain from my neck and my thoracic, those nerves you have problems at are contributing - it forms the brachial plexus and feeds branches that go to the chest. Mine feels like a tight band squeezing my chest, like heavy pressure and squeezing. It also runs under my armpit, and down the side of my trunk at times. I had every test under the sun and got a 100% heart ok back and they told me it was coming from spine. It should always be checked out but if they come back with nothing then yours is probably the same.

I'm floored! You just described my chest pain to a tee! I'm a big guy 6' 7" and right at 300lbs. I thought it may be something else, but I've had everything tested and nothing resulted. It brings a lot of relief to see you write my exact symptoms out for me. At least I can pretty well understand what it is.

Thanks again for everything. This is a Godsend!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi robbie,tho i have not been posting since i have gotten kind of hung up doing other posts,(sorry for that)i have been reading some of them only becasue you also have cord compression going on and this one thing kind of hightens the need for intervention and also can bring along for the ride a TON of really off the wall and insane symptoms. while you DID do the right thing and espescially considering your size( it just does matter alot in a cardiac way)in clearing any cardiac involvement here, there just leaves that spinal as the most likely reason for your chest symptoms. it all comes down to how the nerves and the dermatomes actually innervate any given area as to just what will possibly show and most importantly where they will actually show.

just look up dermatomes and you can see for yourself just what and how the spinal nerves actually innervate any given area. it is just a good thing to know,espescially if you are trying to explain symptoms that are stemming from 'just" spinal nerve affectation. unfortunetly the cord involvement plays out a bit differently. but you can see the areas where you have spinal nerve issues and how things may be for you because of it. location location location,ya know?

just how truely severe IS your cord compression? what did it state in your MRI summary as far as EXACTING location of it with regards to your cord area. some can be centrally located(directly anterior in the cord),or to the right or left of central. it all matters when you start feeling symptoms and as to what particular spinal tracts can be affected too. those tracts, when the actual cord in involved can create alot of different issues. it all depends upon just how impacted a particular one actually is, and what that tract governs.

knowing just how really severe the compression is as described by the interpretting rad really would help alot in just helping you. alot of what you will feel isn't always shown at the MRI level eiter. there are just some levels of problems you can really have going on in your spine(or the true severity of) that simply do not actually show themselves upon any MRI, just ask sammy. she found out durting her last c spine surgery that her c 7 was heavily damaged and her damage she was aware of per the MRI was much much worse when the surgeon went in there as opposed to what actually showed on her MRI. it is just merely a 'scan' of an area and NOT a true real picture of it like a kodak moment would be?

your overall symptomology simply tells alot more in some cases than any MRI really can sometimes. what exactly is beng affected in your left hand right now and how would you describe it? marcia

Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
    Robbie445
    (male)

Robbie445 HB User

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for that "Load" of information. lol... You out did yourself there. I'm still trying to digest it all.

In all honesty, because I haven't seen the surgeon in a year and a half, I do not recall the details of my cord compression, other than the term "Moderate" was used in the description. Again, that's been over a year and a half ago and I've been just living with it and taking Muscle Relaxers and Pain Killers as needed. My pain levels AND my symptoms really didn't seem to change much over that period of time. As a matter of fact, other than pain (Sometimes quite agonizing) I really didn't have a lot in the way of symptoms. However, over the past month or so, my pain AND symptoms have suddenly progressed quite a bit.

Here are my symptoms currently:

1) At times, Severe Headaches on the left side from the temple all the way back into my neck. (That's What Initially Drove Me To The Doctor)
    2) Of course, Neck Pain
    3) Left Shoulder and arm weakness
    4) Involuntary finger movement in the 3 middle fingers of the left hand
    5) Pins & Needles in Forearm, Palm and 3 middle fingers of the left arm and hand
    6) Lower leg weakness
    7) Pins & Needles (Not constant, but several times per day) in the bottoms of my feet and even a little burning feeling sometime
    8) Chest pain on the left side that goes into the left shoulder and into the left side of my trunk at times

As you can see, it is primarily my left side that is being affected and these symptoms have really progressed over the past month or so. As I've said earlier, because I didn't have a lot of symptoms, I really didn't fully comprehend the danger of putting the surgery off for a while and I've been trying to hold off until the fall of this year, as that would be the best "time" for me. However, since my symptoms have increased and I've been researching for myself and found you folks on this board, I'm not waiting any longer. I'm ready to get this behind me now and start the recovery process.

Again, thank you for all of your help. You've all been wonderful and I'm thankful that we've met here.

God Bless,
    Pastor Robbie

Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Your symptoms are very much like mine & I am really glad your having this done. I had the headache the last few weeks before surgery, my temple was so sore I could not touch it & it became unbarable pain. I have the exact same chest pain & yes it can go to the trunk area. The problem is when we let this go we dont know whats going on in there & to be honest neither can the surgeons be until they get in there. I was told based on my MRI my problems could not be causing the headaches but once the surgery was done the surgeon was not longer convinced of that.

Not everyone has the headaches or the chest pain for that matter. I have not seen anyone on this board in along time with the chest symptoms & here are two of you within the last couple weeks. I wondered for along time if it was even related to the Cervical. Its just not as common as say the shoulder & neck pain.

Although none of us want to go through surgery there comes a point we are not left much of a choice. We can only pray for successful surgerys.
    We dont realize what damage can occur by letting these spinal problems go. For many its the doctors that do not inform us or that dont think the surgery is needed until the damage it done. I hope threads & posts such as these can help others before they reach this point. I wish I would have had this surgery long ago. Good luck pastor & god bless, Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 03-29-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sorry i am a bit behind catching up on all of the postings you have made on your situation,so if i ask something that you have already answered,please forgive me.

so i gather from what you have stated as being well over a year ago regarding an MRI, that you have NOT yet had any follow up comparative MRI done since then? have you actually seen a neurosurgeon at all yet? i know without a doubt that they WILL want a new one done on you, within the past six months is the norm. you just REALLY need that follow up done at this point for the NS and to just see how things have progressed in there to this point. the nature of most spinal issues just ARE highly progressive in nature as we continue on doing daily things. they just become a bit more involved with time and things that we end up doing that are not always the best for our spines. you also REALLY do need to know just how impacted that cord is being by the direct compression too. chances are, it has probably moved from the "moderate" zone by now too.

i also wanted to ask exactly what 3 fingers we are talking about here. going with the 3 middle fingers can kind of go either way,ya know what i mean? is this from the pinkie on over to the middle or from the ring finger to the forefinger? it does kind of matter in how much spinal nerve involvement is going on and just what specific nerves are being involved. they are all innervated by particular nerves up in our c spines. you only have three seperate nerves that actually innervate all fingers and the thumb. if you could just clarify, it would help.

if you could answer the questions i asked it would really help me to try and help you in the best way. hang in there hon,Marcia

Closed Thread