It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Corpectomy C4,C5 fusion+plate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
    Ruti
    (female)

Ruti HB User
    Corpectomy C4,C5 fusion+plate

Hi, I am scheduled to have this scary surgery on April 15th. I dont have any pains. I found out by mistake that my cord is being compressed by the ligament ossification and bone spurs..

I live in Europe and am flying to the States to do it, and then back to Europe. I have few questions for you all:
    1. How soon after the surgery I will be able to get on a plane (10 hours flight..)
    doc said 2 weeks but I think this is a bit optimistic, no?
    2. He said he doesnt use any collar (he said with the plate and screws it is not needed). Has any of you had the surgery without one?
    3. What is the easiest food to eat that also helps with bone fusion?
    4. How does post op look and feel like?

I really want to be prepared - I am so scared... thanks a lot for any input and tips.

I am 50 years old, by the way.
    Thanks
    Ruti

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Corpectomy C4,C5 fusion+plate

Ruti

Hi - I'm also 51 but I had a cervical laminectomy at 47 - sort of similar to the corpectomy but I had no fusion or plates.

I was in the hospital about 48 hours (could have gone home a bit earlier but it was an hour's drive and I was a bit dizzy the first morning post surgery. I also did not need a collar but before surgery I was wearing a soft collar and you might be more comfortable with something like that both ways on the plane. It was really more comfortable than it looks and sometimes on a bad day for months after the surgery I'd put it on.

I own my business with my husband so while I couldn't drive comfortably for 6 to 8 weeks but I was back in the office after 2 weeks, taking breaks to lie down flat every few hours so you should be ok to fly home. Keep your plans flexible if you can.

Don't have advise on your other questions. For me the first few days were the hardest because the surgery was from the rear and they cut the big muscles in the back so my husband had to help me shower and dress for the first week or so.

My only time in Amsterdam, or Europe for that matter, was a 10 hour layover. We saw the Anne Frank House and the Wax Museum (ok I lost out to the 13 and 15 year old on the last one, I wanted an art museum). The city was beautiful, so different than "the states", I'd love to get back there sometime. I have a cousin who lives near the Hague.

Hope all goes well
    Gloria

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User
    Re: Corpectomy C4,C5 fusion+plate

I would say 2-3 weeks before you feel like flying back home. I just had my C5-C6 fused 4 weeks ago. My surgery pains were gone around 2 weeks post op. I could only eat soft foods and liquids for the first couple of weeks. I drank a lot slim fast in place of meals because of all the vitamins the 2 weeks. Your going to be sore the first few days after surgery. Just remember not to over do anything.

Closed Thread